[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: slav couples.png (562 KB, 565x680)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
Have you ever found bizarre translation errors between books you've read in your native language and the original English version?

Just today, by chance, I found an error that would completely change a paragraph of the book, giving it the opposite meaning to what the author wanted to say, and the translator in question is one of the most "reputable" and who is always sought after by various publishers in my shithole, making me wonder how much is translated wrongly even among translators with more than 40 years in the profession.

As far as I know, books translated from another language into English also have a bad reputation in the Anglosphere, losing a lot of the prose and meaning and even changing the characters' names. Solaris for example.
>>
I'm not an ESL, but I would like to comment on the last part of your post. Most people, as far as I can tell from what I've heard in person (in Maryland) and seen online, don't have a good sense for what is lost in translation.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing the passage in English, and hearing why it's wrong in your language (Polish, I'd guess, because you brought up Solaris).
>>
>>23540366
Besides getting lost in translation. I know that for some reason the translation from Japanese to English is also much inferior when compared to the translation from Japanese to Russian or Brazilian Portuguese.
>>
>>23540375
>inferior to Russian or Brazilian Portuguese
You're just making things up. What languages do you speak, and how did you learn them?
>>
>>23540300
I found one the last week. On Plato's apology spanish translation, it says that Socrates was guilty for only 3 votes. And in the english one it's lile 60 votes.
>>
>>23540433
20 x 3 = 60
>>
>>23540386
Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside Japan and most of them are bilingual, so translations from Japanese to Portuguese are some of the best in the world.
>>
I found at least one major erro in Neuromancer which changed the entire meaning of some part.
>>
>>23540470
Wouldn’t anglo translators also be bilingual? It can’t be that rare can it?
>>
File: tiredpepe.jpg (39 KB, 575x556)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>23541195
>monolingual translator
>>
This is my fear
>>
>>23540438
I don't ubderstand your comment, but the concensus of how many votes in english is of 280 guilty and 220 innocent. But if you google "Socrates 275 votes" it will lead you to a lot of spanish pages saying that 280 voted guilty and 275 voted innocent
>>
>>23540300
As a reader from a small nation I can tell that local translators are prone to frequently make shit up/ omit whole sections, fairly evident sloppiness etc. Its not exclusively attributed to English. The translations of classics of Russians I've been reading have been retarded to the extent that one can wonder if there's any value left there. On the other hand there are opposite cases where translations have more style and value than the original.
Not withholding the megalomania the local translators/authors have. Blessed the day I switched to English/russian for most of my reading.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.