[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (59 KB, 512x404)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>Read any religious text
>Repeats the same phrases and points over and over and over and over and over and
>>
>religious text
The most pointless type of text to read.
>>
>>23540677
They're good for context for historical/current events and supplementary to sociology, psychology, etc. IMO
>>
>>23540683
I find it hard to believe that you'd get better context than an actual history book which would focus on facts and evidence. There's certainly an educational component of reading those works but if you're worried about the arguments they are making in the text itself (spoiler, it's all BS) then you're going to drive yourself crazy. They're repetitive and vague on purpose. It's basic brainwashing techniques.
>>
>>23540656
religious texts are written with the understanding that your reader is going to be a total retard and needs repetition for it to sink in
>>
>and so it came to pass
>>
>>23540656
It helps with memorization if you're illiterate and having the text read to you.
>>
>>23540689
History books are less likely to capture any genuine romanticism experienced by people through the ages. Reading old works I find that the majority of people lived in a partially romanticized version of reality, known as copium by you.
>>
>>23540689
It reveals insight into the human condition. Do you think poetry can't have truth in it without "facts and evidence"? What a stupid teenage redditor mentality.
>>
>>23543502
That's just one word in Hebrew and a normal part of the language then.
>>
>>23543528
Yes, this is the answer. Homeric bards were the best at this. Repetition helps you to remember the story and key plot points. That is why you get “wine dark sea” every other line.
>>
>>23543709
>It reveals insight into the human condition.

>There's certainly an educational component of reading those works but if you're worried about the arguments they are making in the text itself (spoiler, it's all BS) then you're going to drive yourself crazy.
I'm not saying don't read it, I'm saying if he's looking for logic he's picked the worst type of book for it.
>>
>>23540656
Most religious texts originated from speeches or writings of several different authors that were only later written down into one coherent book.

Expecting consistency or no repetition is too much.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.