[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 716B1lzZLrL._SL1500_.jpg (117 KB, 920x1500)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
What does /lit/ think of Sebald?
>>
>>23540712
Unquestionably good literature but comes off ad boring to my trannified zoomer sensibilities.
>>
>>23540741
I'd encourage you to be more patient with him. Sebald is a slow read. He rambles with purpose and there is a beauty in that. Some authors, I feel, are more suited to solitude. You need to be alone to feel the power of their prose. I recently finished a book by an author called Teju Cole, Open City. He has the Sebald touch.
>>
>>23540712
I don't care if she's bald, so long as she's hot.
>>
I didn't like Austerlitz but I'll give him another shot. Rings of Saturn and Emigrants sound better.
>>
>>23540712
Everything is Illuminated was better, but the well of post-ww2 introspection will likely never run dry.
>>
>>23540712
my favourite author of the last probably 100 years and probably the author i feel i connect most to. i will elaborate on this if i have time later and this thread is still up
>>23540862
if you didn't like austerlitz i'd be surprised if you liked his other books. rings of saturn is far more abstract though, so may be free from whatever you disliked about austerlitz
>>
>>23540712
Humiliation literature.
>>
I can't take post-war german literature seriously at all. They all write the exact same way about the same extremely limited set of things, arriving at the exact same conclusions since they all start out from the exact same extremely limited set of premises. Maybe if you agree with their premises and conclusions you might like it but from the outside it's incredibly one note.
>>
>>23541414
>>23541440
So you haven't read him but decided you don't like his books since they acknowledge that the holocaust happened and that it was traumatic to many?
>>
>>23541455
Why did you make the thread asking what the board thinks of him if you just wanted everyone to uncritically choke on Sebald's dick like you do? Like, why even ask if what you actually wanted was a circlejerk?
>>
Why is Jewish suffering so special? Stalin killed over twenty million. Pol Pot decimated his country's population, with estimates of two to three million. Bengals, Armenians, Ukranians and Rwandans all suffered similar genocides. Why is the Jewish genocide so untouchable? Please tell me.
>>
>>23541403
>i will elaborate on this if i have time later and this thread is still up
please do
>>
>>23541498
I'm not OP lol

>>23541525
>Why is Jewish suffering so special?
It's not. And neither does anything in "Austerlitz" suggest that. You guys haven't even read the book in question and it seems like you already deride it for simply exploring the trauma caused by the holocaust. Sure, there are lots of books about that subject, but few of them are as unique and masterful as "Austerlitz"
>>
>>23540712
austerlitz is really good and all his books are worth reading. rings of saturn is pretty overrated though
>>
>>23541525
the reason sebald wrote about jews was because of his own biographical connections to the holocaust (i.e., his dad was a nazi)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.