[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's the best Estonian novel?
>>
>>23541227
Latvian here, I wish you the best of luck but I sincerely doubt anyone here has read anything from the Baltics in general. Most of the best stuff isn't translated, and if it is, it is not available west of Poland. That said, I would vote for the Caveman Chronicle by Mikhel Mutt
as the best book from Estonia I have read, very philosophical.
OP is alright and I like the setting and attempt to introduce Baltic folklore to the West but I don't speak Estonian and the Latvian translation wasn't great.
>>
>>23542761
And what's the best Latvian literature?
>>
>>23541227
What I have read of Jaan Kross was pretty good. There was some more recent Estonian I read who was obviously a BEE fan, forget his name, he was alright and better the BEE.
>>23542761
>but I sincerely doubt anyone here has read anything from the Baltics in general
Is Poland no longer Baltic? They have a good number of big names including five or six Nobel laureates. Finland has Sillanpää, Linna, and Kivi who are all fairly big and good, Lithuania has Šeinius, all I can think of at this hour. Mention a couple Estonians already. Can't recall having read any Latvians, vague memory of reading some reworked/modernized folk tales by a Latvian but can't quite dig it out of memory.

I think Linna is my favorite of what I have read from the Baltics so far.
>>
>>23544094
Idk if Finland is considered part of the Baltics, at least most finns don't see it that way (I'm from Finland and I honestly would be glad to be part of the Baltics and I definitely consider Finland to be part of eastern Europe. I guess most finns like to see themselves as more Western European, though. At least culturally speaking it is becoming increasingly western in its sensibilities, although a similar development can be seen with Estonia's culture and possibly with that of the other Baltic states as well)
>>
>>23544288
Its a moving target and largely a meaningless term whose definition changes every decade or so since it stopped referring to the countries literally on the Baltic, I don't know what the current definition is, back in the 80s (why do I remember 5th grade geography so well?) it was the 5 countries I listed but I have a vague memory Poland was dropped which is why I asked about that one and did not go into its lit.
>>
>>23541227
disco elysium

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.