[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l500.jpg (39 KB, 326x500)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Was he the first shitlib?
>>
>>23541510
Why do almost all of these utopias feature communal partner-sharing? Were they simply written to be fetish material or why did everyone writing a utopia back then dream about their wives constantly being pounded by every other guy in the commune?
>>
I thunk they're just sticking with the theme of no ownership or private property and extending that to husbandry. There is an implied switch in a utopia from 'mine' to 'ours.' With this switch you're also able to fuck everyone else's wife too so it isn't just your wife getting plowed all the time
>>
>>23541518
Utopia was intentionally written as a satire. If you read it, it becomes evident the longer he continues. You wouldn't take Swift seriously because he advocated the consumption of Irish babies, because it's ridiculous, a satire. With More, you must retain a similar suspension of belief in his words.
>>
>>23541518
See
>>23541551
>>
>>23541518
This would be the ideal to be fair in a society that sees sexual activity as spiritual and holy.
>>
>>23541510
Read the section on More in C.S Lewis' English Lit in the 16th century or, if you want a truly patrician take on More, Lafferty's pastmaster
Utopia was a low effort pamphlet he wrote as a joke
Thankfully noone seems to have taken it seriously for the first few centuries
I dunno which one is worse, people taking utopia seriously or thinking Paradife Loft's Satan is portrayed as the good guy?
>>
>>23541551
Satirical elements =/= just a satire. It's an oversimplification to say that Utopia and Modest Proposal are doing the exact same things. Utopia is much more ambiguous, the humour is subtler and double-edged not Juvenalian. Unlike Modest Proposal where the policy suggested is too abominable ever to be put into practice and thereby satirising contemporary attitudes, Utopia is often suggesting policies that are too reasonable and good ever to be practised, thereby satirising both its own impracticability and the folly of human nature (after Erasmus).
>>
>>23541510
Socrates was the first shitlib.
>>
>>23541510
No
>>
>>23541927
not necessarily. women have a womb which can only carry one man's child at a time. if you have a woman fucking multiple guys, the question of paternity becomes an issue and it will just breed more violence. a just society is where every woman is paired with a single man and extramarital affairs are condemned to death in order to make sure every man gets to reproduce. otherwise you get harem society eventually and the outliers wil enact violence against those who are able to reproduce, and not just limited to the men, but the women too.
>>
>>23543476
Why would paternity become an issue in a communal society where children belong to the community rather than families?
>>
>>23541988
You've explained that more lucidly than I did or could've and I thank you.
>>
>>23541551
It's significant that the title could mean both Eutopia (Good Place) and Outopia (No Place).
>>
>>23543476
There are a lot of people you should not want to reproduce. You are probably one of them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.