[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1710567670458091.png (892 KB, 1080x1215)
892 KB
892 KB PNG
Problem?
>>
The picture quality worsens each time it's reposted.
>>
>>23541717
you did not read the book
>>
>>23541750
if your book isnt using 1500s English and you are not fighting Mike Tyson while reading it you didn't read the book
>>
>>23541750
If I got the story and message and only got rid of the purple prose, how did I not read the book?
>>
Why yes I perfectly understood the prose in Blood Meridian on my first read
>>
>>23541786
Dimwit.
>In the days to follow all trace of the Gilenos faded and they pushed deeper into the mountains. By fires of highland driftwood pale as bone they crouched in silence while the flames yawed in the nightwinds ascending those stony draws.
Read more.
>>
>>23541801
Based Magibook user
>>
File: 1718382044788375.png (102 KB, 1080x509)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>23541801
Ftfy
>>
I want to see it translated into caveman.

>Me go Big Village! Every caveman in Big Village have many shiny rock! Many animal skin! But caveman with MOST shiny rock, MOST animal skin name Uggsby. Everyone in Big Village talk about Uggsby around campfire while gnawing mastodon bone. Some say he come from Tribe Over Hill. Some say he come from Tribe In Big Tree. But me not know.
>>
>>23541806
How is that better? It removes what makes Cormac Cormac and replaces it with something else.
Sitting is not crouching. Crouching implies readiness. Why sit in silence if you're expecting something? You would crouch. Sitting is sitting. Flickering is not a synonym for yawing. The yaw implies that the wind is somewhat strong that day. Flickering is flickering.
>>
>>23541822
How is that better? It changes Cormac’s style.

Crouching means you’re ready. If you’re waiting, you wouldn’t just sit. Flickering and yawing are different. Yawing means the wind is strong. Flickering is just flickering.
>>
>>23541775
The contents of books aren't exhausted merely by "story" and "message," and assuming any style more complex than a newpaper editorial is purple suggests you're missing the aesthetic dimension of literature. An example by way of analogy: it'd be like listening to your favorite song played on bagpipes. Recognizable in content, but totally different timbre than hearing your favorite song through the instrumentation you like.
>>
>>23541923
Books are more than just stories. Saying fancy writing is bad is like hearing your favorite song on bagpipes. It’s still the song, but it sounds different from what you like.
>>
>>23541933
You immeasurable faggot
>>
>>23541933
Why did you repeat what he said but as a retard would say it?
Are you a retard, anon? Are you?
>>
>>23541937
You're actually wrong, because it can be measured.
>>
>>23541937
You are very bad.
>>
>>23541933
Anon, please comprehend before you type.
>>
>>23541942
Why did you say it like a disabled person? Are you disabled?
>>
>>23541948
Please understand before you write.
>>
>>23541801
this is really good but his autistic obsession to have literally no punctuation other than a period is really retarded
>>
>>23541949
Yes, sadly, I have a bum leg.
Now, going back to your being a retard, has it been officially diagnosed or your mother decided to keep you..."sheltered" from the world?
>>
>>23541956
It's good but it's stupid he never uses punctuation.
>>
>>23541958
It's too bad I am disabled. Did doctor say you are disabled or not?
>>
>>23541962
Are you asking if doctors diagnosed my impaired leg? Are...are you totally there anon, I'm honestly starting to worry for you
>>
>>23541956
It's a stylistic choice and forces you to be more attentive to what he's writing. I do understand your frustration at it though. I read once, and I forget where, that the marker of strong dialogue is if all speech marks were removed, is it still obvious who's talking?
>>
>>23542012
>me like when writer use pretty word
>>
>>23541958
kys you cripple
>>
File: 1691284972063.jpg (14 KB, 195x256)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>23541717
>maximize your reading potential by dumbing down language even more
And there are people who honestly think God would only in recent years translate his preserved words into English with the bastardized and dumbed-down modern English the world uses today, rather than doing it when English was at its peak and beauty and the average man on the street had a much larger vocabulary (irrelevant to the lingual experts who translated it, but still).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ3LUvKKiKY
>>
>>23541775
there's another thread on lit about how STEM is the only thing worth reading because themes can be summarized in a few paragraphs. The reason that guy is wrong is because of the mood set by prose. That's all there is to fic lit anon.
>>
>>23542026
>me misunderstand simple things
Just go away.
>>
>>23542040
Oh cool, someone who bullshits their theology out of the insecurity resulting from realizing the translation they rely on is probably different from the original languages, and the lack of any existing authographs of tbe primary texts, so adorbs.
>>
>>23542033
No u
>>
File: 1718299845884650.jpg (637 KB, 1024x1024)
637 KB
637 KB JPG
>>23541717

The dumbing down of humanity is in full swing.

Clearly *someone* is hell bent on devolving the human race into a species of monkeys just barely smart enough to obey instructions & commands provided through "smartphones," et al, to serve as literal meat puppets. How long until humans are born brain-dead, and standard procedure involves installing cybernetic chipware in the vestigial brains of newborn "homo asapiens?"

>'homo asapiens' is not a typo; the 'a' is for the absence (of thought)

It is necessary for many of us to remove ourselves from clownworld "society" and form our own exclaves elsewhere, in order to keep burning the embers of intelligence, eugenically breeding for health & mindfulness, so that humanity does not die out ignobly as braindead apes poking flickering screens on a planet denuded of nature under a dying sun...

...and so that our descendants may some day conquer these perfect slaves.
>>
>>23541717
Buck Mulligan, a plump man, came out from the top of the stairs, holding a bowl of shaving foam with a mirror and razor on it. His loose yellow dressing gown floated behind him in the morning breeze. He raised the bowl and chanted in Latin.

He looked down the dark stairs and shouted:
—Come up, Kinch! Come up, you scared Jesuit!

Buck walked forward, climbed onto a platform, and made a serious blessing towards the tower and the surroundings. When he saw Stephen Dedalus, he made quick crosses in the air, making funny noises. Stephen, annoyed and sleepy, leaned on the stairs and stared coldly at him.

Buck quickly peeked under the mirror and then covered the bowl.
—Back to base! he said sternly.

In a dramatic voice, he added:
—This is the real thing: body and soul. Close your eyes for a moment.

He looked up and gave a long whistle. Two whistles answered back.
—Thanks, old friend, he called out. That’s enough. Turn off the power, please?

He jumped off the platform and looked seriously at Stephen, gathering his gown around his legs. Buck's face reminded Stephen of an old church official. Buck smiled and said:
—How silly! Your name sounds like an ancient Greek!

He laughed and went to the parapet. Stephen followed him and sat down, watching as Buck propped up his mirror and lathered his face.

Buck continued cheerfully:
—My name is silly too: Malachi Mulligan. But it sounds Greek, doesn’t it? Happy and lively like me. We should go to Athens. Will you come if I can get the money?

He put the brush aside and laughed.
—Will he come? The young Jesuit!

He started shaving carefully.
—Tell me, Mulligan, Stephen said quietly.
—Yes?
—How long is Haines staying in this tower?
Buck Mulligan looked over his shoulder and smiled
>>
File: alexa.png (817 KB, 826x1032)
817 KB
817 KB PNG
>>23542431
>*someone*
It's just the market and/or the gods. Here's what's happening:
>technology is stupid
>still smarter than people somehow
>people become more reliant on technology
>become comfortable with this, fall into new habits aided by technology, repeat
>an easy example is hundreds of cars being stuck in mud at once because of robot map guides, or pic related
>attention span is now under 140 characters
>people don't know if they live on the north or south side of a road
It's only going to get worse.
Here's a profile of a younger "normal person" nowadays
>cheated through gradeschool, hardly studied anything for 12 years
>learned to smoke weed and drink
>goaded by a financially motivated high school into getting an easy degree
>learned to abuse stimulants
>utter imbecile at almost everything except for what the degree was in
>even then they're bottom percentile in the field
>landed a comfortable job being obtuse somewhere
>talents include lying, cheating, feigning competence
>assumes everyone else is this way
This new kind of person is an increasing minority. The old guard is phasing out. This competency crisis will only get worse
>>
>>23542431
>homo asapiens

It's LATIN you stupid idiot it should be homo INSIPIENS holy shit you are so fucking retarded you think Latin had alpha privative HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you are the FIRST instance of the new homo insipiens.
>>
File: ted blackout.jpg (36 KB, 1024x459)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>23542492
just say 'homo stultus'
>>
>>23541770
Magibook was meant for people like Myke Tyson
>>
>>23542478
That picture made me smile sadly. Terrible.
>>
>>23542461
J.J. ... Abrams
>>
>>23542495
Why not homo stolidus? Or homo stupidus? Or homo fatuus? Homo insulsus has a nice ring to it...

YES this is what I lurk in those /clg/ threads for, this is MY MOMENT, all those hundreds of hours of hard work are paying big dividends.
>>
>>23542508
The tablet generation growing up is going to be one nasty shock.
>>
File: ted funko pop.jpg (70 KB, 1003x696)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>23542515
you have to be the first person to name the species to name it, that's how archaeology works
>>
>>23541923

Books, movies, tv shows and even sports, have both the narrative aspect and the technical aspect. Narratives seem to be enjoyable to humans in a very deep and universal way, while the technical aspect seems to only enjoyable to people who also partake in the same craft. Everyone can enjoy watching rocky, or watching the underdog guy beat the favorite but you need to be a boxer yourself in order to enjoy Mayweather's footwork. I find a lot of purple prose is used more to impress other writers than give to the narrative for general audiences.
>>
The river flows past Eve and Adam's, curving from the shore to the bay, bringing us back to Howth Castle and its surroundings.

Sir Tristram, a lover, crossed the short sea and came back from North Armorica to fight his peninsula war. The rocks by the Oconee stream didn't exaggerate themselves to Laurens County's people while they were doubling their efforts: no voice from a fire called out "mishe mishe" to "tauftauf thuartpeatrick": not yet, though soon after, a boy didn't buttend an old Isaac: not yet, though all is fair in Vanessa, were sisters angry with Nathan and Joe. No malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight, and the end of the regginbrow was visible on the water's surface.

The fall (a long word representing the sound of a thunderous fall) of an old man is retold early in bed and later in life through all Christian storytelling. The great fall of the wall resulted in the sudden fall of Finnegan, an Irish man, causing his head to send someone on a quest to the west for his toes: and their turning point is at the park where oranges have rusted on the green grass since the beginning.
>>
this shit might have meant something like 50 years ago. it won't make people read more and the people who already read will never bother with this.
>>
File: IMG_7898.jpg (817 KB, 1816x2354)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
With usury, no one has a well-built house, each stone cut and fitting perfectly.

With usury, no one sees beautiful paintings on church walls, like angels with harps or the Virgin Mary with a halo.

With usury, no one sees the noble families or their heirs in long-lasting pictures. Instead, art is made to sell quickly.

With usury, bread is always stale and dry, without good wheat or strong flour.

With usury, everything becomes unclear, and no one can find a place to live.

The stonecutter can't work with his stone, and the weaver can't use his loom.

With usury, wool doesn't reach the market, and sheep bring no profit.

Usury is a disease; it dulls the needle in the maid's hand and stops the spinner's skill.

Great artists like Pietro Lombardo, Duccio, Pier della Francesca, and Zuan Bellini did not create their works with usury. 'La Calunnia' wasn't painted with usury.

Angelico and Ambrogio Praedis didn't work with usury, and no church built with cut stone has the mark "Adam made me" because of usury.

Usury rusts tools, ruins craftsmanship, and breaks threads in looms. No one can weave gold patterns anymore; beautiful colors and materials are spoiled.

Usury stops young people from having children, courting, and ruins marriages.

It brings corruption to sacred ceremonies and desecrates feasts.

Note: Usury is charging for the use of money without considering the production or possibility of production, leading to economic problems.
>>
>>23541717
Sounds like a niche product.
If the book still gives the same impression after reducing it to baby sentences, the book isnt good and not worth reading anyways.
If it is a good book, the simplyfying destroys its original charme.
I dont see this used much, but maybe it helps some adhd kids.
>>
>>23541717
Wasn't there a study that showed crutch technology like autocorrect legitimately caused developmental and learning issues in kids?
>>
>>23542431
You know why they’re doing though? To accommodate their favorite pets.
>>
>>23542666
its for midwits wanting to stay in the known
you out of all people should know this, satan
>>
>>23542578
Purple isn't just elaborate description though, but elaborate description that serves no purpose. Consider the first description of purple prose (really, purple passages, in the context it's brought up, re: portry) by Horace:

>Weighty openings and grand declarations often have one or two purple patches tacked on, that gleam far and wide, when Diana's grove and her altar, the winding stream hastening through lovely fields, or the river Rhine, or the rainbow's being described. There's no place for them here. Perhaps you know how to draw a cypress tree: so what, if you've been given money to paint a sailor plunging from a shipwreck in despair?

To take the examples above of Cormac McCarthy, his prose style is meant to evoke something akin to reading the KJV translation of the Bible, austere, serious, with archaisms to evoke apocalyptism. He's not writing an airport thriller, and, arguably, his audience ought to be limited to readers who aren't looking for such. The flavor of his work is obliterated when presented in the style of adcopy. To use my earlier example again, Purple Haze played on a squealing guitar has a different timbre and character than when played on a xylophone or a cheap Walmart synth. It can be played on whatever you care to, but if the intent of the song is to evoke something particular, a funkiness or a grit, that character is lost played on something else, and prose style seems very similar. Don Quixote can be reimagined by AI in a flatter adcopy style, sure, but its style was meant to parody the novels of chilvalry popular n the period, and, reduced only to what motivates the most basic elements of the plot, that parody through mimicry becomes invisible for the sake of a more straightforward story.

And I'm not dismissing (or I'm not intending to, anyway) the taste for more straightforward novels, but there’s something perverse in needing Ulysses to be straightforward instead of the the preeminent example of literary modernism. You read Ulysses in largest part for the style, not for the plot shorn of that style.
>>
>>23544201
>re: portry
Kek, *poetry
>>
>>23541786
punctuation is for fags get good
>>
>>23541717
Unironically great for non-fiction.
>>
>>23544734
Exactly. It will just step over all the time wasting. We can read 500 books in a year instead of only 100 now.
>>
>>23543803
No, the study showed that crutch technology did not refine learning issues in kids who already had learning issues as effectively as traditional interventions.
>>
>>23541717
sparknotes???
>>
>>23541822
This, Anon reads
>>
MOBY DICK

ISHMAEL WENT ON A BOAT WITH QUEEQUEG WHO WAS POLYNESIAN AND THE CAPTAIN WAS A CRAZY MAN NAMED AHAB AND HE HATED THE WHITE WHALE BECAUSE IT BIT HIS LEG OFF AND WHALING IS REALLY HARD AND DANGEROUS AND ALL THE MEN WERE ON THE SHIP TOGETHER AND EACH ONE HAD A QUIRKY DISTINCT PERSONALITY AND CAPTAIN AHAB MADE THEM CHASE THE WHITE WHALE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO JUST HARVEST WHALES LIKE NORMAL AND AT THE END THEY FINALLY FOUND THE WHITE WHALE BUT IT DESTROYED THE SHIP AND EVERYONE DIED EXCEPT ISHMAEL THE END
>>
LOLITA

HUMBERT HUMBERT SEEMED LIKE A REFINED SOPHISTICATED LITERATE GENTLEMAN BUT ACTUALLY HE WAS A PERVERT WHO WANTED TO FUCK LITTLE GIRLS AND HE WENT TO AMERICA AND HE WAS STAYING IN A HOUSE WITH A WOMAN CALLED CHARLOTTE AND CHARLOTTE WAS IN LOVE WITH HUMBERT BUT HUMBERT WAS ATTRACTED TO CHARLOTTE'S DAUGHTER LOLITA WHO WAS A 12-YEAR-OLD GIRL AND KIND OF BRATTY AND RAMBUNCTIOUS SO HUMBERT MARRIED CHARLOTTE BECAUSE HE HOPED HE COULD USE IT AS AN OPPORTUNITY TO MOLEST LOLITA AND CHARLOTTE FOUND OUT ABOUT HIS PLAN BUT SHE DIED IN AN IMPROBABLE CAR ACCIDENT AND THEN HUMBERT AND LOLITA DROVE AROUND THE US ON A FUN ROAD TRIP BUT IT GOT LESS FUN AFTER LOLITA FOUND OUT HER MOTHER DIED AND ALSO SHE GOT TIRED OF HUMBERT HITTING HER UP FOR SEX ALL THE TIME SO SHE RAN AWAY WITH THE HELP OF THIS OTHER GUY CALLED QUILTY WHO ALSO SEEMED LIKE A NICE REFINED SOPHISTICATED LITERATE GENTLEMAN BUT HE WAS A PERVERT TOO SO SHE GOT MOLESTED BY HIM BUT HUMBERT WAS ALL ALONE AND HE WAS SAD BECAUSE LOLITA LEFT SO THEN HE WENT TO SEE HER BUT SHE WAS MARRIED AND SHE WAS 18 AT THIS POINT SO HE DECIDED TO LEAVE HER ALONE SO HE WENT TO FIND QUILTY AND MURDERED HIM IN VENGEANCE AND THEN HE WROTE THE BOOK WHEN HE WAS IN PRISON THE END
>>
A PERFECT DAY FOR BANANAFISH

A WOMAN WAS HAVING A PHONE CALL IN HER HOTEL ROOM SHE WAS BEING A SUPERFICIAL BITCH AND TALKING IN A PATRONIZING WAY ABOUT HER HUSBAND SEYMOUR MEANWHILE SEYMOUR WAS ON THE BEACH AND HE TALKED TO A SMALL GIRL BECAUSE HE CHERISHED THE INNOCENCE THAT HE KNEW WAS SO DELICATE BECAUSE HE SAW LOTS OF HORRIBLE THINGS IN WWII THEN HE WENT UP TO THE HOTEL ROOM AND SHOT HIMSELF THE END

I'm saving you guys so much work today, we've already read two classic novels and a short story.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.