[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is "publishing" poetry by posting it on X and other social media a viable way to find readers?
>>
>>23542351
Only if you're a hot woman and/or make terrible poetry pandering to hot women (see Atticus for reference)
>>
I'm curious too although I hate the obsession with updoots which is why I come here. I was considering poemhunter but that's lame and not where you'd want to submit things if you believe you have a unique (enough) artistic voice.
>>
>>23542351
If you're looking to get published, the two paths as far as I can tell are a) find a magazine that will accept your work or win a contest or b) be an already popular influencer. If you can't do the former your work most likely isn't any good anyway and if you can't do the latter then you can't cheat your way there either.
>>
>>23542351
No. More time no one cares to read it, they just scroll for stimulation. Also, you're basically shooting yourself in the foot because potential publishers won't like how you're posting poetry for free. Also, there's no market for it. Anyone can write a stanza or two and post it online; it'll just be flooded by faggots and women who will get more interaction than you, anyway.
>>
posting it where? is this supposed to be some meta post about posting it on x social media?
>>
>>23542374
>Atticus
my poetry does not resemble his, but some of what I write could be construed as "pandering to women" (women irl find some stanzas/poems as particularly "theirs")
>>23542385
I don't care whether it's reddit or X or something else, I want to get my poetry to people and see their reactions, even if they are negative or confused
>>23542413
>find a magazine
is there any list or anywhere I can start looking other than just Google which dumps me on the submission page of the New Yorker and Poetry Foundation?
>>23542425
>Anyone can write a stanza or two and post it online
this is an important argument, quality is difficult to spot for the people who spend their time on social media unless it's pointed out to them by some authority (influencer)
hmm
>>23542437
I don't have an X account, I am wondering whether using social media platforms to get my poetry "out there" is a good idea, I need feedback in the form of genuine readers, even if they do not like what I write (I have suspicions about this)
>>
>>23542452
>I don't have an X account, I am wondering whether using social media platforms to get my poetry "out there" is a good idea,
AN ACCOUNT ON WHAT
>I don't have a x account
>I don't have a y profile
wtf bro
>>
>>23542463
>account on what
x=twitter
>>
>>23542351
if you write poetry against the jews, you'll have an audience, guaranteed.
>>
>>23542542
the totality of my poetry deals with the entire history of Man from a barren Earth 4 billion years ago to the waste land after Man's death (think Nina's monologue from Chekhov's seagull)
don't think it's just pathos and epic scenery, there's a lot of "confessional" elements, symbolism and other shit as it is told from the eyes of someone who has been alive through it all
>>
>>23542351
>Is "publishing" poetry by posting it on X and other social media a viable way to find readers?
The only way to publish poetry today is by either tattooing or branding it onto the forehead of a cabinet equivalent minister or shadow-minister in an EU country. Anything else is poseur shite.
>>
>>23544022
I've been published immensely as a poet. You need to submit to magazines. Anyone who thinks they can go it on their own in a fool or a self-publisher, generally. Get your credentials in order. Then, when you're ready, assemble a full collection featuring some of your published pieces. The poetry world right now hates old-fashioned poetry (it's filled with fags), but there are a few mags out there that cater to more traditional styles. Social media is not a good starting point for "serious" poets, if that's what you want to be.
>>
>>23544030
sorry, I got rid of it because "had an in with a publisher" is technically incorrect but I was too lazy to explain
>there are a few mags out there that cater to more traditional styles
my style is decidedly not "traditional" but some of the subject matter is classical/traditional
it doesn't help that almost all the (good) poems I have finished are part of the same total structure and some techniques like phrase repetition or simultaneity would be totally lost
on top of that the form of each poem is constructed according to a theory of form I outline in a separate essay that would help make sense of why my work visually looks the way it does
>>
File: 1719822911616.jpg (40 KB, 736x736)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>23542351
worked for rupi kaur
>>
>>23544089
yeah, but >>23544049 that doesn't sound like something kaur's audience will appreciate easily, though I do have stanzas and whole poems which will resonate within certain echochambers online
>>
>>23542351
Any sort of a platform works as long as it's popular, and you have connections with people who already have an audience and can signal boost you on that popular platform.
>>
>>23544118
so post some here itt
>>
>>23544155
check'd
>you have connections with people
none in the humanities
>>23544164
4chan posting is my plan if all else fails because we are all aware how a trad publisher would think if they found your work on here (even though they would be wrong since 4chan hasn't been what they think it is for years)
I was told on /pg/ a while back that I have publishable stuff and that I probably shouldn't be posting it here so I stopped and went back to writing and reading and getting better, but when the time came to try and publish the people I have connections with couldn't help
>>
>>23544172
>none
Then it doesn't matter what platform you use, gg.
>>
>>23542351
if you want to go down this road, just make your own merch store with your best quotes on t-shirts and tote bags, then pay tiktok influencers to make content featuring your work. don't forget to make your own tiktok a few months beforehand to cultivtate a small audience to hipster gatekeep the late marketing-spawned audience and make you seem artificially cool
>>
>>23544212
not an entirely unreasonable idea, anon
>>
bump
>>
>>23542463
are you retarded?
>>
>>23542351
Theoretically, you could. But like >>23542374
said, if you're a woman you'll garner much more attention quickly.
>>
>>23545952
I write under a pseudonym, but it is a male one
>>
>>23544212
Too much work and effort which needs to go into this. This is why I don't support artists, I don't give a fuck and I hate the normies who do. Now that audiences are global it's all more insufferable to top it off.
>>
>>23542463
Living under a rock bro.
>>
>>23547404
>>23545840
>>23542519
I'd rather be retarded and live under a rock than unironically go onto twitter.
>>
>>23546498
>This is why I don't support artists, I don't give a fuck and I hate the normies who do.
what would you support

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.