[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Proohs softly.webm (2.02 MB, 512x480)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB WEBM
Ive been reading too much fiction lately, recommend me some no-fiction books. Can be about anything, just something you'd personally recommend. Bonus points if you never seen it mentioned here on /lit/
>>
From the past few months:
The Secret World of Weather by Tristan Gooley
Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide by Kay Redfield Jamison
The Secret History of Jesuits by Edmond Paris
Groucho and Me by Groucho Marx
The World: A Family History of Humanity by Simon Sebag Montefiore
>>
>>23542697
Of these 5, which one would you recommend the most?
>>
I read a lot of highly specific non-fiction books and documents on things like unconventional munitions, cave maps, engaging light aircraft with small arms.
>>
File: 1635252799842.jpg (8 KB, 234x216)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>23542733
Hmm, i'm sure the FBI will be interested in that
>>
>>23542732
The World: A Family History.
>>
>>23542674
I have some unconventional manuals and manifestos like child abduction and siege defense
>>
>>23542766
Child abduction?
>>
File: images (4).jpg (59 KB, 554x554)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
>>23543895
One last trip to flavor town
>>
A gardening book, and one on breeding plants
>>
>>23542674
There is no such thing as "non-fiction"
All these writers are just writing about the fantasy world inside their heads. Putting words in other people's mouths; taking disputed evidence as certain truth; looking over their biases; forgetting that they are perceivers, and all the while they write using an imperfect medium that relies heavily on metaphor and allegory, which in turn are open to interpretation.
>>
File: KantianHolyBook.jpg (46 KB, 667x1000)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>23542674
>>
File: boo.jpg (1.78 MB, 1100x1639)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Any of the lives of Orthodox Christian saints from proper compilations or service books (The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints by Dimitri of Rostov is a good one that is readily available in English). These fall into the category of stuff most people think is fiction, whether it actually is or not. Highly recommended. For non-fiction as in stuff that's so painfully mundane you'll want to kill yourself, try an algebra texbook, a calculus textbook, a real analysis textbook, software development manuals for a popular microprocessor family such as Intel IA-32/64, or one of those books that have a thousand pictures of slightly different bugs in them. For comfy non-fiction, try a chess book, a crossword book, a travel guide, or true crime. Don't bother with the news, as it is largely fiction (about true crime). Thanks for reading my advertisement for Amazon.com and the U.S financial sector, and for doing your duty to keep the economy hot, hot, hot!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.