[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: infinite_jest.jpg (96 KB, 635x1000)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
I liked the concept, but halfway through I got bored and dropped it. And I'm not some ADHD zoomer that can't get through a long book; I've read War and Peace, Moby Dick, Don Quixote, etc. without qualms. I just have a personal policy that if a book bores me, I drop it.

Am I a midwit for not "getting" Infinite Jest, or was I right to drop it?
>>
bump
>>
>>23543324
>Am I a midwit for not "getting" Infinite Jest, or was I right to drop it?
Depends, what do you think "the concept" is?
>>
File: 1719419614517345.jpg (127 KB, 700x1079)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>23543324
>>
>>23543336
You can ignore my question, bumping on /lit/ after 5 minutes proves that you are an ADHD zoomer and a retard.
>>
>>23543339
The concept is at least about contemporary America and how our doomed pursuit of happiness has caused us to be susceptible to addiction of all forms: to drugs, to entertainment, to hedonism, etc. Again, love the concept; not a fan of the execution.
>>
>>23543324
>>23543344
zoomer derangement syndrome
>>
>>23543361
So you missed most of it and reduced it to the supporting elements which have blatant plot level exposition. Probably should start rereading everything you have read, most likely missed a great deal, return to IJ after you finish that.
>>
>>23543383
alright, then what's the "right answer" then since mine was wrong? Or are you just being a smug asshole?
>>
>>23543389
>Or are you just being a smug asshole?
No, that is what you are doing, you think you fully comprehend a book you only got halfway through. For a glimpse of some of what you missed; first chapter is lacking in addiction, most notable thing is Hal's thoughts being completely disconnected from his spoken words. Second chapter, Erdedy goes over and over all the games he plays with people for his addiction, games which would fool no one. Notice a commonality? Same as Hal just not as extreme. It goes much deeper than that and this is just DFW pointing you in the right direction. Vast majority of books layout theme and the structures which will be used to explore and develop theme in the early parts and you missed a major one, I doubt this is an isolated incident.

First third of the book develops and builds this, addiction is a symptom and the pursuit of happiness is not the pursuit of happiness but the pursuit of things defined external of the individual which could be happiness as defined by society but generally is not.
>>
is this where my anti work moralfaggotry comes from I read that shit 13 years ago
>>
>>23543486
If it is you embraced everything it speaks against.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.