[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 423432.png (858 KB, 1322x1248)
858 KB
858 KB PNG
Reminder he didn't win the Nobel because he called out the communist regime. Same as Milan Kundera. What to read by Kadare? The General of the Dead Army and The Palace of Dreams are good starting places.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/article/2024/jul/01/ismail-kadare-giant-of-albanian-literature-dies-aged-88
>>
>0 replies
The absolute state of this board.
>>
>>23544322
literally who
>>
>>23544322
>NOOO WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE ABOUT MY GLOWIE ZOGSLOP
>>
Where would you start with his work OP? Some of his stuff is available in English and Spanish.
>>
>>23544138
Very good writer
>>
>>23544334
I mentioned that in the OP. Those two books are available in both languages.
>>
>>23544325
>>23544329
retards
>>
>>23544138
First I've heard of him, I'll check him out
>>
>>23544334
>Marxism is the opium of ivy tower intellectuals
>>
>>23544138
>he didn't win the Nobel because he called out
OR.....maybe he just wrote slop
>>
>>23544138
>he didn't win the Nobel because he called out the communist regime
>the same prize that showered praise upon Pasternak and Solzhenitsyn
lmao
>>
>>23545064
Kadare is a good writer. Dylan won it and he isn't even known for writing literature but for pop music. Ishiguro won it and he writes novels for menopausal housewives. etc
>>
>>23545076
it's an open secret, I am correct.
>>
>>23544138
F. This thread deserves more posts like he deserved that Nobel. In addition to the Palace of Dreams I also really like Twilight of the Eastern God's and Traitor's Niche.
>>
>>23544138
Such an underrated author. Will miss him.

F.
>>
Great author, and great poet, too. His original poems in Albanian are sublime. Rest in peace.
>>
>>23544138
Hit me op
I love Kundera but the commie experience stuff doesn't really excite me, I read Kundera for literally everything else
Does Kadare have stuff to offer besides the communist experience?
This is not to demean such literature, it can be very competently written and be of value, I'm just tired of it
>>
>>23545523
Read Broken April. It's about a blood feud in the Albanian highlands.
>>
>>23545523
The commie experience is either symbolic, not present, or secondary. Kadare's work has way more than that.
>>
Only tangentially by proxy of communism and the balkans but do you think The Bridge on the Drina by Andric is more successful than the Mountain Wreath because the former is a fundamentally lefty explanation of the phenomenon of the balkans, therefore palatable to liberals, while the Mountain Wreath is not despite arguable embodying the spirit of the balkans in a more truthful manner?
>>
>>23545539
The Balkan spirit is rat poison to the effete liberal "spirit", so yes.

t. Balkan
>>
>>23545523
He's one of the few writers who genuinely deserves the appellation 'Kafkaesque'. Try The Palace of Dreams, which uses an Ottoman historical setting to tell a story of a middling bureaucrat whose job it is to interpret and catalog peoples' dreams for the state.
>>
>>23545542
I didn't necessarily mean to talk shit about liberals, it's just that the historical image the Bridge on the Drina offers to the reader is basically the exact image libs want to think about the region's past - that everyone lived happily together in a mildly less idyllic balkanic equivalent of the pre-reconquista moorish convivencia until nationalism appeared for absolutely no reason at all and destroyed this happy multicultural utopia.
>>
>>23545523
He's not a writer you read for "the commie experience" lol
>>
>>23545529
>>23545545
This stuff sounds very interesting, I'll give him a shot
>>
>>23544329
retarded mutt faggot
>>
>>23544138
>Ismail Kadare was born on 28 January 1936, in the Kingdom of Albania during the reign of King Zog I.
Zog is an killer name for a king. Now you have my interest; must peep.
>>
>>23545563
NTA but yeah. Bridge on the Drina is heavily biased because the writer was a Panslav Croat who declared himself a Serbian. Absolute shame he didn’t live long enough to see Yugoslavia dismembered by his Serbian countrymen.
>>
I admit, I didn't get The General of the Dead Army. It's been a while since I read it, but I remember thinking there probably was some symbolism I missed. I didn't really understand the function of the priest's character or his relationship with the widow.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.