[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Robert_E_Howard.jpg (53 KB, 250x323)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>"Black Colossus" is one of the original short stories starring the fictional sword and sorcery hero Conan the Cimmerian, written by American author Robert E. Howard and first published in Weird Tales magazine, June 1933. Howard earned $130 for the sale of this story.

$130 in 1933 is $3140 today. And this is just after the Great Depression. How many literary magazines can you name which would pay this much for a story today?
>>
These magazines paid him and Lovecraft shit.
>>
weird tales is not a "literary magazine" its fucking pulp fiction which became irrelevant once normies could just watch lost in space on tv
>>
>>23544321
Howard was able to earn a living from pulp magazines. He earned more than people working regular jobs in his hometown.
>>
was he bald? no one in the fedora days would have worn a hat inside cuz it was considered rude af
>>
>>23544345
>earn a living from pulp magazines
And that doesn't mean he had a fair pay. To your question: magazines and serial publication of similar types in Europe paid more to their authors and allowed them to live a comfortable and even lavish life. There's no point in comparing them to today's standard that are very low.
>>
>>23544353
well he was a hick from nowheresville, texas so he probably didn't know that
>>
>>23544883
Bro he was writing during the Great Depression.
>>
>>23544953
Kek I'm from the same Nowheresville, TX.
>>
>>23544336
He wasn't a typical pulp writer either. He loved poetry, but poetry didn't pay. So he incorporated some of this into prose. Few other fantasy writers are quite as musical or even write action as well either. He also wanted to write historical fiction, but liked too many periods in history. He wanted to write about it all, so he just created a fictional world where he could place Celts, Romans, Egyptians, and Mongols all in the same setting. He didn't set out to write fantasy in and of itself per se. Then you throw in the fascination with horror (especially of the mindfuck/Lovecraft ilk) and he created a new genre.
>>
File: REH normal clothes.jpg (27 KB, 363x500)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>23544321
Lovecraft got paid shit because he wrote what he wanted to read, not what the editors wanted. Howard got paid well because he wasn't opposed to writing for a paycheck.
>>23544336
This, if Howard hadn't killed himself, he likely would have followed the same path as Robert Bloch and transitioned into writing for emerging industries like radio and the silver screen.
>>23544353
He had a full head of hair. That is a from a set of photos he had taken for his girlfriend. He hated dressing up. Pic related is how he normally dressed.
>>
>>23545880
>This, if Howard hadn't killed himself, he likely would have followed the same path as Robert Bloch and transitioned into writing for emerging industries like radio and the silver screen.
Picrel: His children.
>>
File: Two Gun Bob.jpg (64 KB, 435x689)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>23545889
I could see him happily working beside both of those guys. Cowboys and muscle men were two of his favorite things.
>>
File: Howard-and-friends-2.jpg (425 KB, 1008x1260)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>23545159
Ever been to Howard Days or the museum house? Is it worth a trip out that way?
>>
>>23545934
I haven't actually. Maybe I should. It's still out of the ways, but I'm in the lower end of the Hill Country.
>>
>>23544321
And yet boomer and millennial writers love to pretend they are the ones being abused nowadays.
>>
>>23545934
My oidest sister went to ACU for undergrad. I always used to pass through Cross Plains on my way out to Abilene to visit her. I should have stopped in.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.