[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

In this thread, we discuss books wherein alcohol is a theme and authors afflicted with alcoholism. Pictured here is Jack Kerouac, leader of the Beat Generation who drank himself to death at the age of 47 while living with his mother.
>>
It should be noted that Kerouac was also a crust buster and liked getting his crust busted.
>>
>>23544880
What does that mean
>>
>>23544888
He loved to dangle his legs over a fence, if you catch my meaning.
>>
>>23544880
A man of culture, clearly started with the Greeks
>>
>>23544888
He was a little light in the loafers
>>
>>23544848
What are /lit/'s favorite drinks? Like, I have an unopened bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail that I was to try out on my birthday and I'm hoping it ends up being my favorite so far. I'm also about to try a Chimay Blue, since I've only had one other Trappist beer before and I'm hoping this suits my tastes better.
>>
File: assommoir.jpg (80 KB, 485x799)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
obbligatory
>>
Suttree's got the best drinking scenes of any book I've read

>Get ye a drink, Bud.
>Goddamn. What is that shit?
>Early Times. Best little old drink they is. Drink that and you won't feel a thing the next mornin.
>Or any morning.
>>
>>23545022
Last time I drank that I had the dry heaves. The drizziling shits.

Yeah Suttree is great. I'm reading it right now. Loved the part where he's hammered in the afterhours club run by blacks and throws up everywhere then gets kicked out.
>>
>>23545022
Is this saying the drink will kill you? Or that it's so good you'll start drinking it all the time and slip into a numbing alcoholism?
>>
>>23545090
It's saying it'll kill you. The drink in question was home brew moonshine and it was so foul the characters could barely stand to drink it.
>>
>>23544848
I will be finishing Under the Volcano later today, pretty good but there are some subtle shifts in voice which irk me, a few happen at unfortunate times and killed the flow. Most here would not notice them. At times he does a wonderful job of making the volcanoes loom over the novel and some absolutely amazing descriptive passages.

Might read The Lost Weekend next, apparently its success made Lowery seethe, he had been working on Under the Volcano for like a decade when The Lost Weekewand came out with its similar premise focusing on severe alcoholism.
>>
David Gates - Jernigan
The Lost Weekend- Charles Jackson

Pic related was a real life alcoholic/ addict and a pretty good interwar German author which is rarely discussed here.
>>
>>23545193
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 1117x1746)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>23545193
David Gates is pretty underrated.If you want a self- destructive first pern narrator/ protagonist pick it up.
>>
>>23544888
He liked to garden uphill
>>
>>23544954
>What are /lit/'s favorite drinks?
Gin and tonic, Spanish red wine under $10 a bottle, Jameson
>>
>>23544954
Beefeater's gin. Either juice or tonic dependent on mood.
>>
File: 1719260443643677.jpg (56 KB, 736x736)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>23544848
Alcohol is such a bore chemical. Just a removal of inhibition and reduction to a lower consciousness. I prefer much weirder stuff like LSD, Magical mushrooms, weed and the other wonders of experience. But everything in deep moderation just like a 50 year old alcoholic drinking his private reserve of whiskey. Too much of that stuff and your brain will akin to the liver in the alcoholic... pretty much decay into blackened dead tissue. disconnect parts of yourself permanently and connect the rest in a new way.

Something like that, I never read books i only write shit on the internet in all forms of media.
>>
File: 1703308998445202.png (680 KB, 1500x1479)
680 KB
680 KB PNG
>>23545243
Based perciever
>>
>>23545232
>>23545233
I agree that a GnT basically can't be beat. How did a drink made to keep crusty sailors and colonialists shipshape happen to be the most refreshing thing ever?
>>
>>23545243
Age has turned me off hallucinogens and even pot for the most part but I still smoke pot on the rare occasion. In my 30s I realized the vast bulk of the occasional users I encountered all had the same bent/flawed view of themselves and a few of those people are ones I had known for years and saw this develop in them. No idea if this is caused by the drugs or just that people who tend towards that mentality also tend to use psychedelics but I did not want to end up like them. Pot I mostly gave up around 30 when I started seeing the long term cumulative effects of pot starting to show up in people of my social group, makes you stupid. Probably no risk as long as you spend the bulk of your time sober but it largely ruined being stoned for me.
>>
>>23544954
Vodka mixers when it’s hot out and neat whiskey during the colder months. In college, my roommate would fill a beer stein with ice, Tito’s, lemonade, and lime seltzer and use it to power through his essays while simultaneously playing Gundam Breaker.
Good times.
>>
>>23544954
Who cares. Just pour me something.
>>
>>23545232
>Spanish red wine under $10 a bottle
what brand. i won't drink it unless it has a cork btw. place down the street sells 1.5 L bottle of cabernet for $14
>>
File: 1719783557873964.png (775 KB, 1079x1344)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>>23544848
>be drunk 100% of time, smoke a pack a day, take all drus, be a flaming faggot, sleep rough, get into shanking matches
>still live to 47
Sounds like some nazi experiment lol
>>
>>23545382
Trauma and drugs stunt your growth and you're psychologically and emotionally still a teenager in many ways. I think most people get the message after a while, sort out the shit they can, and hang up the phone. The ones who don't fall into all kinds of weird thinking that becomes permanent. Pot is subtle in how it fucks with people, they don't even see it, not like how alcohol fucks with your life.

It gets really cringe but I do think a little bit of the dopesmoker life can be a good thing, some people really need to get outside themselves for a few years. But man alive, they are stunted for whatever reasons when they do. I think it has to do with being able to separate strong voices from mature thought, but I've never really thought about it too much.
>>
>>23545382
>the vast bulk of the occasional users I encountered all had the same bent/flawed view of themselves
What is that view?

>>23545707
Campo Viejo
>>
>>23544888
His record player would only play Italian if you catch my drift
>>
>>23544848
Leaving Las Vegas by John O'Brien
>>
>>23545143
Early Times isn't homebrew. It's shitty cheap whiskey. It's just a quaint country way of saying the drink is rotgut.
>>
>>23544954
Vodka over ice or the strongest IPA available
>>
File: 1000005148.jpg (31 KB, 402x402)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>23544848
Literally all of his work
>>
>>23545022
Easily the greatest accounts of being rat bastard drunk or hungover in the history of literature.
>>
>>23544888
He was a nail trimmer, kept his lawn neat, liked a crisp breeze if you get my meaning, tucked in his sheets, had an eye for a good wine
>>
>>23545233
based. I like a martini or three
>>
>>23545707
based standards-haver
>>
>>23546234
finally
>>
>>23544888
He liked his crumpets buttered on all sides
>>
>>23546234
Bukowski is the obvious answer so everyone was avoiding mentioning that wanton imbiber.
>>
>>23547170
>le I'M SO HIPSTER I WON'T MENTION THAT PLEB GREAT
>>
File: 1719890865678.jpg (80 KB, 828x996)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
according to micheal katz the working title of crime and punishment was "drunks". i believe it was this video i saw him say it in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3XKXnKQkfk
>>
>>23544954
blue moon or a moscow mules. my all time favorite was lauganitas "hazy memories" but they don't make it any more and "hazy ideas" is no where near as good.
>>
I haven't gotten drunk in 5 years
Feels good man
>>
File: DRUK_5%.jpg (90 KB, 768x721)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>23544954
>rum sazerac, heavy absinthe wash
>monkey gland 50/50 citrusy gin/Italico
>mezcal manhattan
>Navy Grog, Hurricane, any rum heavy Tiki drink really
>gin mojitos, tequila mules, bourbon palomas

Backassward everything, usually settle for rum and coke nowhere has Mr. Pibb Kölsch, scotch ale, anything blonde with coriander notes, some Mexican beer for sessions in hot weather, Czech and Baltics for winter.
>>
I am thinking about beginning the craft of brewing/mead making
How long will it take for me to get good?
>>
>>23545188
>Under the Volcano
Yup
Honestly I had a little trouble keeping the characters separate
>>
>>23544888
He hitched on the Hershey Highway
He took the occasional stroll down the Bourneville Boulevard
He liked to putt from the rough
He was a big fan of Judy Garland’s live albums

Dunno how we can make it any plainer
>>
>>23544848
Jack London's John Barleycorn is the book you want to discuss here, people
>>
>>23544848
How does he look so hot here but never so much in his other photos?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.