[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000007733.jpg (74 KB, 440x610)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
all I know is he's a composer
>>
>>23546361
He looked like John Wayne.
>>
Tbh idk how English-speaking /lit/ users interrupt with his work so much. Are they all watching the operas with English subtitles or something? How do I even engage with German opera
>>
File: Wagner Reading Order.png (49 KB, 1890x656)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>23546361
>>23547192
I can attest to the usefulness of this list. Also, one must of course read and listen to the operas first. Use the overtures/preludes to pick out which ones to listen to in full, and either watch a subtitled recording or find a copy of the libretto and read along to the music, it's not that hard to pick out the different voices.
>>
>>23547412
I've been reading The Destiny of Opera and I'm still hung up on something in it:

>Poetry, taken by itself, is only to be conceived as an abstractum, and first becomes a concretum through the matter of its fashionings. If neither the Plastic artist nor the Musician is thinkable without a trace of the poetic spirit, the question simply is how that latent force, which in them brings forth the work of art, can lead to the same result in the Poet's shapings as a conscious agent?

What on earth does this mean?
>>
>>23547734
Think of "poetry" and the "poetic spirit" as the muse, a spiritual force which artists make material through their creations. His question is rhetorical; the point is that the artist, musician, and poet all make different things out of the same force because each of them is missing the boat that the arts should all be united, as he strove to do in the Gesamtkunstwerk.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.