[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: book.png (22 KB, 804x743)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>Occam’s razor
But why?
>>
>>23547353
I’ve wondered this myself. Maybe I like the ornate.
>>
>>23547353
It’s not something that guarantees something is true it’s just a sort of practical rule. If it fits occums razor (the answer that entails the least assumptions) then it makes more sense/safer/maybe more likely to be true because it takes less assumptions with no proof whatsoever to believe

This doesn’t mean that the answer with least assumptions is 100% true though.
>>
>>23547368
But why use the rule anyway?
>>
>>23547375
It works in practice + mental economy
>>
>>23547375
Philosophical razors are not guarantors of truth but they are useful tools for weeding out claims that are less likely to be true.
>>
>>23547381
>It works in practice
Source?
>>
>>23547375
It's not a "rule" and it's almost always misapplied by retards, its intended to mean that you test the simplest hypothesis first. It's a rule for science experiments not understanding complex sociological phenomenons or the myriad of other things people try to apply it to.
>>
>>23547375
Because people love to create baroque explanations, models, and all inclusive overarching systems.
It's just applied minimalism, for better comprehension, and to better avoid red herrings and convoluted propaganda.
It's an economical rule of thumb, not a law of nature.
>>
File: channels4_profile.jpg (119 KB, 900x900)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
Because the modern basedboy needs a minimalist ontology and epistemology in order to cope with a bizzare and unknown alien reality, unlike the ancient Chad Greeks and dravardians with expansive mythologies filled with many gods and beings and forces and realms and afterlifes. The modern man is spiritually cucked and needs to shrink into himself, believing nothing, knowing nothing all because the prospect of being wrong makes his little timmy shrimp dick retract further into his crotch. What does dravardian Chad do? Prays to his God he KNOWS exists and fucks miss pajetta raw knowing it makes him good kamma for the afterlife. The modern (white) man has lost his way, unable to make assertions, unable to make leaps of faith, unable to believe anything unless some jew university publishes a study (((proving))) it's true. Even though most studies are fake or p-hacked or unreplicable. But he believes in this false science God because it's less existentially risky than planting his flag or asserting a truth about the world. That's why whites will die out and the BWNO will reign. Whites can't ask a woman out for fear of rejection. They occams razor their own women. Black men? Men packing heat? For them truth is a tool, it's something to be used or transgressed or made rock fucking hard to pound out snowbunnies or ebonic queens. All while timmie nerd and his frot buddies debate over occams razor and cut themselves with the same waa waaa why don't wammaaaan luvvv mee??? My ontology is soo sparseeee!!!! I believe nithingggg unless itsss proveeeen !!!! Utter fucking nerdcuck mentality. BWNO BWNO BWNO BWNO BWNO
>>
>>23547353
>If it takes too much effort for me to listen to what you say, it means you're wrong.
Every pseud's favorite principle
>>
>>23547353
But frog, why not?
>>
>>23547403
The laws of thermodynamics
>>
File: 1718953163887886.png (186 KB, 493x429)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>23547499
>>
>>23547353
The fewer assumptions you make, the fewer mistakes you'll make.
>>23547531
Impressive level of misunderstanding there. Maybe you should have applied Occam's razor.
>>
>>23547353
The human brain has only so much processing power. Occam's Razor tells you to keep it simple, stupid, so that you can better utilize your brain.
>>
>>23547353
A useful method of applying moderate skepticism without going to radical skepticism.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.