[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: joucm.jpg (29 KB, 460x450)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
if you finish 70% of a book, is that enough to say "i've read it" ?
>>
>>23547654
Of course not
>>
>>23547656
i'm 80% of the way through discourses and selected readings by epictetus, and i dont really see the message changing much for the remaining 20%. so why can't i say I've read it?
>>
File: cat-nerd.png (107 KB, 498x483)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>23547664
you don't actually know what's in the remaining 20%. You could say "I've read some of it", or even "I've read most of it".
Finish the book
>>
>>23547664
You're right, but I think that you should at least skim the rest of the book or consult a secondary source to verify that the message mostly stays the same. I tend to use plato.stanford.edu for a quick litmus test for how accurately I've understood the work since (especially with more contentious philosophers like Hegel) they tend to present multiple views.

Ultimately, if you feel like you're not getting much out of the work anymore, I've found that it's not a huge detriment to stop reading it.
>>
>>23547654
If it's non fiction or essays or even poems then yes but novel? Def no
>>
>>23547654
Hehehe just finish the book anon, or don't, no book police are going to show up if you don't, but maybe pick authors who put everything in the first 70%.
>>
Yes, because the definitions were unclear. If you've said, I've finished reading it, then it's a blatant lie. If you instead lie by omission: you have read the book, and no one can will grill you further on it. If pressed you can simply say, the ending was unclear. I read 10 books a month this way and it is highly effective.
>>
>>23547654
You can say “I’ve read it” and you won’t be lying. No need to use the word “finish”. Either way, don’t worry about other people when you read. If you want to drop a book drop it. I wouldn’t make a habit of it though if you are new to reading though
>>
>>23547654
i mark books as read on goodreads when i get within the last 20 pages of them.
>>
>>23547654
Yes but only if you write a book report equal to 1/10th the length of the unread pages
>>
>>23547654
Depends on how repetitive the book is. I read half of Atlas Shrugged, but given how it was just the same argument over and over I'm sure the second half was exactly the same.
>>
>>23547654
Nonfiction? Sure, especially if you're also reading companion guides or related books on the topic. Redundant information is redundant. Short story collections and poetry? Sure. Novels, it's a DNF, too much happens at the ass end.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.