[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715136285751380.jpg (1.12 MB, 2000x1857)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
What's the most frightening, disturbing, fucked up book out there, /lit/? I want to feel the bugs crawling under my skin...
>>
>>23554988
>Scarriest
Learn bloody English, you cunt.
>>
>>23554988
my diary desu
>>
>>23554992
FUCKING FINGER SLIPPED AHHH
>>
Thomas Ligotti, be his fiction or philosophical nonfiction.
Clive Barker
Lovecraft depending on what you consider scary

If you're more into serial killers, there are some good noir ones like Jim Thompson.

There are some sci-fi that are also good, if you are interested I would say Blindsight by Peter Watts.
>>
>>23555022
Thanks for the recs, anon. I've read a lot of Ligotti, and he's easily the best horror writer I've found yet.
>>
>>23554988

Probably Call of the Crocodile by F. Gardner, but the entire series is a masterwork of horror.
>>
>>23555048
I can confirm. F. Gardner is a master of our time.
>>
le cows
le hogg
le slob
>>
>>23555048
>>23555054
nice try. shit still sucks btw.
>>
File: IMG_0250.jpg (354 KB, 717x981)
354 KB
354 KB JPG
CotC is the most schizo one
>>
Collector by John Fowles made my skin crawl. I know it's more thriller than horror but damn did it make me angry and sad.
>>
>>23555054
>>23555045
God dammit, who let Gardner out of the kimono store?
>>
>>23555221
Yeah, for me os was really sad. I felt awful. Surprised it did both perspectives. Really well written.
>>
>>23555221
Is this the guy who kidnaps a girl? I've been interested in reading it for a long time, but I always thought of it as a humor book.
>>
I read Conspiracy Against the Human Race during my first and only real existential crisis/confrontation of death.

In hindsight, probably not for the best.
>>
>>23555022
>Lovecraft
>>>/v/681646845
>>
File: Scary.jpg (24 KB, 429x334)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>
When I was an edgy atheist teenager and Wikipedia was in its infancy, I skimmed the article on the Marquis de Sade and decided that, because he was just some perv and had repeatedly escaped from prison, he must have been a champion of freedom and the liberal spirit. I and my greasy 6' band sludge girlfriend went to the local public library with a friend of hers to elucidate my impression. I'll never forget cracking that book and coming across some gruesome passage about mutilation. It was so embarrassing, and probably the first moment of true pseud self-btfo I administered.
>>
>>23555348
Nobody cares about your blogposting, Christfag
>>
>>23555324
He should stick to short stories. Conspiracy was so dumb
>>
>>23555317
Read it. It will finger your soul's butthole without lube and when it's over it will whisper "I will return" gently in your ear.

A Maggot is another great book by John Fowles. It's one of these "what the fuck did I just read" books but very well written.
>>23555314
>>
>>23555563
I honestly don't think it'll affect me that way, anon. I've been through a lot in life and I'm not easily affected. Is the prose good? Would you say the book has some intentionally dark humor?
>>
>>23554999
trips of truth
>>
>>23554988
The most I've been scared (or the closest I've been to getting scared) by any piece of media is The Andreasson Affair by Ray Fowler. Scary because it's not fiction but it's not for normies.
>>
You have to be either retarded or a colossal faggot to be scared by a book about ghosts or monsters
>>
>>23555349
He started writing this the second he saw the word girlfriend btw
>>
>>23555825
Almost none of the books mentioned in this thread are about monsters or ghosts.
>>
>>23554988
Revival by Stephen King
>>
House of Leaves by Danielewski had some pretty eerie moments, like the parts in the dead dude's apartment and the segments braving the labyrinth. The sheer size of parts of it were pretty discomforting. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was frightening, but maybe disturbing.
>>
>>23555221
Will I like it if I didn't like The Magus?
>>
>>23555328
not that anon but i think the color out of space was actually pretty scary desu. that said i don't think its what the op asked for.
>>
>>23554988
Colour Out of Space was pretty creepy. I can't think of anything else that I considered scary.
>>
>>23555310
Kek
>>
It's always been twelve days of Turin or whatever it's called. Where invisible "brings" hurt humans just for fun.
There was also one where humans just multiplied endlessly by a kind of entire body cell division, piling up everywhere, but I can't remember the name of that either.
When I was younger anything about the devil used to scare me wicked
>>
>>23555851
This is one of the few modern King slops I'm willing to buy. Is actually worth it or not?
>>
>>23557715
>invisible "brings"
Invisible beings, they were also giant I think
>>
A biography of your worthless life.
>>
>>23557980
OP isn't the zoomer loser creating bible threads
>>
>>23557715
>There was also one where humans just multiplied endlessly by a kind of entire body cell division, piling up everywhere, but I can't remember the name of that either.
Terminal Park
>>
>>23557356
I felt like it wasted some of its potential. I wanted more of the bizarre dark endless labyrinth and less of the le wacky postmodern romp with passages about a dude getting his butthole fingered during a blowjob and whatever the fuck.
>>
Selby’s The Room.
>>
File: 1704833620087.jpg (13 KB, 590x350)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>23554988
The Egg by Andy Weir
>>
>>23558604
People keep shilling Andy Weir, but most of time I saw people saying his books are literally midwit slop for little girls and fat redditors. I got Project Hail Mary, I still need to read it, but I honestly don't think I'll enjoy it,
>>
>>23558060
Yeah I skipped all the shit I didn't want to read. I can't think of a better hook than "family comes home from vacation and finds a door in their living room that wasn't there before" but here we are
>>
File: IMG_1617.jpg (193 KB, 863x1000)
193 KB
193 KB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.