[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Books on dying well?
>>
Bernard Cornwell books, especially the ones set in Britain
The Silmarillion
>>
>>23555526
What's dying well? No poop?
>>
File: 1626060559477.jpg (105 KB, 750x727)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>23555534
pretty obvious if you're not retarded: at the least, the event of your death not making me cringe. so no poop is necessary but not sufficient.

the most excessively good deaths are the ones where you think yeah, he had a good innings, that's the best you could hope for upon getting out.
>>
the death of ivan ilyich
>>
File: Ars.moriendi.pride.a.jpg (459 KB, 800x1046)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
>>23555526
Ars Moriendi
>>
>>23555526
To die well, you must live well.
>>
>>23555640
Wrong.
>>
>>23555640
Right.
>>
>>23555526
We all know the truth, it's just uncomfortable: the only genuine death cope is recalling all the pussy you fucked.
>>
>>23555592
Everything about Death will make you cringe.
Actually, making yourself not cringe when you're about to death is the cringest thing you can do
>>
File: 1499700805935.jpg (421 KB, 1600x900)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>23555526
Siegfried is a being much like the youth in the fairy tale who goes out into the world that he may learn what fear is, which he quite fails to do, owing to his healthy natural instincts and his inability to see things otherwise than as they actually are.

The development of the whole poem sets forth the necessity of recognising and yielding to the change, the many-sidedness, the multiplicity, the eternal renewing of reality and of life. Wotan rises to the tragic height of willing his own destruction. This is the lesson that we have to learn from the history of mankind: to will what necessity imposes, and ourselves to bring it about. The creative product of this supreme, self-destroying will, its victorious achievement, is a fearless human being, one who never ceases to love: Siegfried. That is the whole matter.

I do not mean my hero to make the impression of a wholly unconscious creature: on the contrary, I have sought in Siegfried to represent my ideal of the perfect human being, whose highest consciousness manifests itself in the acknowledgment that all consciousness must find expression in present life and action.

The enormous significance that I attach to this consciousness which can scarcely ever find adequate expression in mere words, will be quite clear to you in the scene between Siegfried and the Rhine-daughters. Here we see that infinite wisdom has come to Siegfried, for he has grasped the highest truth and knows that death is better than a life of fear: knowledge of the ring, too, has come to him, but he does not heed its power, for he has something better to do; he keeps it only as a proof that he at least has never learnt what fear means.
>>
>>23555640
Suppose someone lives poorly but in their dying hour makes a stand for something important. Did they die well?
>>
>>23556423
i choose not to cringe at my death but I shall cringe at yours.
>>
>>23555526
Plato’s crito and phaedo
>>
File: IMG_5838.jpg (32 KB, 312x475)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>23555526
This is 100% a pop history book and it indulges and takes liberty in parts to make it more of a narrative. However, the ending has always stuck with me. If you want to die with dignity and as a man, to die well, take some notes about the lead up and execution of the leaders of the 1916 Irish Rising. The ending of this pic rel does it well. There’s a certain undauntedness in the face of certain death that is inspiring. It makes me think about how I would go into that certain death. Look into the deaths of other people facing certain execution but did it with dignity: the executions of Marshals Joachim Murat and Michael Ney come to mind.
>>
>>23555526
The ending of Yourcenar's The Abyss
>>
File: cocoa.png (1.72 MB, 1920x1080)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB PNG
Every time I feel particularly close to the end, rather by natural causes or design, I immerse myself in SoL/CGDCT anime, almost totally. If it passes, I drudge on, if not, I think its time well spent.
>>
>>23555823
What if all the pussy I fucked was from toddlers I raped? So you're saying if I'm remembering toddler pussy, then I died well?
>>
>>23555526
I don't know, but I think stuff by Mishima would be a good place to start looking.
>>
File: Socrates.jpg (27 KB, 572x600)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>...those who practice philosophy in the right way are in training for dying, and they fear death least of all men.
>>
>>23555526
Mishima I guess. But obvious thing would be to accomplish all you can and be content with dying at any moment.
>>
>>23556701
my wife Cocoa is so cute
>>
>>23555531
FPBP
>>
>>23555526
The Consolation of Philosophy might be what you're looking for. Boethius wrote it while on death row and was brutally executed shortly after finishing it.
>>
>>23555526

Earth abides.
Goodbye Mr Chips
>>
Hávamál
>>
>>23555526
Ten literary deaths that no rightsouled man can read without feelings of envy (general spoiler alert, pretty obviously) —

‘TAKE YOUR ENEMIES WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO’ EDITION
— Samson (Book Of Judges)

‘DYING HAPPY, REMEMBERING THE LITTLE GIRL YOU PLAYED WITH A CENTURY BEFORE’ EDITION
— Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)

‘DYING HAPPY, THINKING OF ALL THE BOYS YOU TAUGHT ABLATIVE SINGULAR ENDINGS’ EDITION
— Mr Chips (Goodbye Mr Chips)

‘DYING HAPPY, REALIZING YOU WILL NOT NEED YOUR BODY ANY MORE’ EDITION
— Hazel (Watership Down)

‘DYING HAPPY-ISH, HOLDING OFF THE EVIL ENEMY FORCE, KNOWING YOUR CUTE GIRLFRIEND WILL KEEP A PLACE IN HER HEART FOR YOU ALWAYS, OR AT LEAST UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE COMES ALONG’ EDITION
— Robert Jordan (For Whom The Bell Tolls)

‘NOBLE SELF-SACRIFICE, SAVING THE HUSBAND OF THE CUTE GIRL YOU LIKE’ EDITION
— Sydney Carton (A Tale Of Two Cities)

‘NOBLE SELF-SACRIFICE, DEFENDING THE CUTE QUEEN SINGLE-HANDEDLY AGAINST THE TREACHEROUS HORDE’ EDITION
— Umslopogaas (Allan Quatermain)

‘NOBLE SELF-SACRIFICE, GOING BACK INTO A SMOKE-FILLED TUNNEL TO RESCUE THE LAST STRAGGLER’ EDITION
— Justin (Mrs Frisby And The Rats Of NIMH)

‘NOBLE SELF-SACRIFICE IN A COMPLICATED GAME OF POWER POLITICS’ EDITION
— Mariko (Shogun)

‘RUTHLESSLY PURSUING YOUR NEW-FOUND PHILOSOPHY TO ITS LOGICAL CONCLUSION (A.K.A. DYING BECAUSE YOU PREFER NOT TO GO ON LIVING)’ EDITION
— Bartleby (Bartleby The Scrivener)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.