[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: adjxlqcyalc61.jpg (1.18 MB, 4000x3000)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
This is your daily reminder to finish the books on your shelf BEFORE going to the book store to CONSOOM new books.

Remember, you already own books that you were initially excited about purchasing, so try and recapture that feeling and give them another shot!

What books are you avoiding right now? Scared of that great big Ulysses tome that's collecting dust?
>>
That's retarded. There are dozens of books I've read just because they were on my shelf for years and I saw them and said "fuck it, I'll read that." I recently read most of Augustine's City of God after it had been on my shelf since I bought it with my mom as an overambitious kid 10 years ago. I never would have gotten sucked into it if I hadn't seen it there and just thought "fuck it, why not."
>>
But what about my Kindle shelf sitting idly with 2500+ books?
>>
>>23556939
>I never would have gotten sucked into it if I hadn't seen it there and just thought "fuck it, why not."

Your own fault for buying it in the first place.

Don't blame the shelf for your own bad decisions.
>>
File: PXL_20240624_011452107.jpg (2.18 MB, 3072x4080)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>23556933
>Scared of that great big Ulysses tome that's collecting dust?
Not really, just have some things in the pile that need more attention. Usually I just kick it over and grab what's on top when I can't decide what to read.

You scope the new Being and Non-being? I have Uncles Alick and Austin but skipped Kenny for Andy.
>>
File: PXL_20240607_021704652.jpg (234 KB, 1518x818)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>23556953
Also, nice curation there on the lower shelves. The Crowleyana is a bit much for me.
>>
It’s easy to do if you’re buying new books online or some shit. But I get my books from a thrift store for like $2 each and it’s like an adventure finding shit you never knew about. It’s too tempting but I do my best.
>>
>>23557003
This

>>23556933
It's not bad advice. Your not completely WRONG. I'm sure your council comes from a good place but used books are a helluva drug.
>>
>>23556933
>>23556964
Crap
>>23556953
Good
>>
File: 20240703_161258.jpg (1.31 MB, 3477x2268)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>23556933
Gay
I have a list of books I want to read and if I find a copy for cheap or a nice edition I'm gonna buy it.
Plus I already read Ulysses
>>
>>23558417
Pure pseud smelly shit.
>>
>>23558423
Midwit take
>>
>>23558467
Reported for cyberbullying
>>
>>23556933
I rarely read whole books. Only bits of them are relevant, or interesting, or certain parts are poorly written and don't deserve my full attention. I don't like narrative literature, maybe with novels that wouldn't work as well. I don't see the merit in propagating the inferiority complex of having to finish books, it takes the joy out of the activity. The more you try to systematize reading the more artificial it becomes. And the more utilitarian is the nature of your reading the more natural, and in effect fruitful, it becomes. What we hate about redditors collecting books on their "read" list, is the superficial nature of their reading, and its primary objective being to feel superior. But as each one has different ideas about superiority, trying to follow through will tear you to scraps. The alternative is to 'bee urself', which is really the only thing you are ever good for.
>>
>>23558467
>Y-you are a midwit!
>t. midwit
Ouch, poor of you.
>>
>>23556933

It doesn't matter desu, yeah you can have a " I bought i read" mentality or you can buy books and read them later. The point of a library is to have a place where you can put books that you're likely to read one day or another or never. The archetype of it is dictionary or encyclopedia, you'll never read them straight but rather will look into it when you need it. Same goes for books maybe one day you'll have a question that comes up in your mind and you'll remember you have a book that is related to it and you'll read it after hoarding it for years because back then you just bought it 1 dollar with ten other books somewhere.
>>
File: 1681567434149192.jpg (34 KB, 653x523)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
If I didn't go to bookstores I wouldn't leave the house all weekend long.
>>
>>23556952
Why is it his 'fault' though? Why speak in terms of faults?
>>
>>23556933
>Remember, you already own books that you were initially excited about purchasing, so try and recapture that feeling and give them another shot!
That itself is a consoomer attitude, retard.
>>
>>23556933
Ive only ever bought books in foreign countries thatat I could read the languages and knew getting a copy in the US would be hard. Otherwise buying books is for bitch ass capitalists. You can easily get books from the library or steal from your local bookstore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.