[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1906642378.png (1.36 MB, 1307x1129)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
Do EFL people know etymology?
does learning etymology helps me build stronger vocabulary while reading?
>>
>>23557316
Any EFL that has a brain, has looked at a dictionary, or has had any experience with other cultures knows about etymology.
>does learning etymology helps me build stronger vocabulary while reading?
It's probably better to just read more high level /lit/ than to open a dictionary or "learn etymology"
>>
No they don't. Most people are retarded. By being ESL you're already smarter than 90% of EFLs.
>>
>>23557316
What's that? The study of bugs?
>>
No
>>
>>23557335
>>23558089
so EFLs don’t know what each prefixes, suffixes, and roots means and still memorize all the words just by reading a lot?
>>
>>23558147
That's how the human brain works
People are going to have a feeling about how a certain prefix is going to affect the meaning of a word but they aren't going to necessarily be able to give you a comprehensive list of its effects
>>
>>23557316
yes and yes. haven't you found this to be the case in your native language?
>>
>>23558147
>each prefixes, suffixes, and roots mean
ESL mistake spotted. And yes, most of us know what commonly recurring parts of words mean. However, most people wouldn't know that, for instance, the word alcohol derives from arabic.
>>
>>23558147
dumb EFL's probably dont think twice about etymologies but I'm sure smart ones take an interest in it
>>
>>23558168
the system of my native language is far different than English that learning etymology almost mean nothing

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.