[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1716599476235565.png (226 KB, 344x500)
226 KB
226 KB PNG
shit slaps
>>
I like the part were Beowulf is underwater for weeks
>>
>>23557348
Read it in high school
>>
>>23557348
(yaaawn) read this shit in middle school. you losers are really only discovering this shit now?
>>
>>23557663
You know what the nurse said grandpa if you start yawning it's time to go to bed
>>
>>23557348
Is that Kanye West?
>>
>>23557348
>>
File: punching nazis incels.gif (1.02 MB, 260x454)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB GIF
>(yaaawn) read this shit in middle school. you losers are really only discovering this shit now?
>>
>>23557348
>seamus heaney
The Hibernian mind can’t comprehend the Anglo-Saxon spirit.
>>
>>23557348
Colossians 3
>>
>>23557348
Heaney is so talented. North was my first exposure to good contemporary poetry.

Quagmire, swampland, morass:
The slime kingdoms,
Domains of the cold-blooded,
Of mud pads and dirtied eggs.

But bog
Meaning soft,
The fall of windless rain,
Pupil of amber.

Ruminant ground,
Digestion of mollusc
And seed-pod,
Deep pollen-bin.

Earth-pantry, bone vault,
Sun-bank, embalmer
Of votive goods
And sabred fugitives.

Insatiable bride.
Sword-swallower,
Casket, midden,
Floe of history.

Ground that will strip
Its dark side,
Nesting ground,
Outback of my mind.
>>
Heaney translation is mid. It takes like 2 weeks of casual study to read it in Old English if you're EFL. Otherwise Wackerbarth, Morris, or Morgan have the best translations that make the poem seem truly ancient and foreign and bleak
>>
>>23559525
>And yet to persuade myself that I was born into its language and that its language was
born into me took a while: for somebody who grew up in the political and cultural
conditions of Lord Brookeborough’s Northern Ireland, it could hardly have been
otherwise.
Sprung from an Irish nationalist background and educated at a Northern Irish Catholic
school, I had learned the Irish language and lived within a cultural and ideological
frame that regarded it as the language that I should by rights have been speaking but I
had been robbed of. I have also written, for example, about the thrill I experienced when
I stumbled upon the word lachtar in my Irish-English dictionary, and found that this
word, which my aunt had always used when speaking of a flock of chicks, was in fact
an Irish language word, and more than that, an Irish word associated in particular with
County Derry. Yet here it was surviving in my aunt’s English speech generations after her forebears and mine had ceased to speak Irish. For a long time, therefore, the little
word was – to borrow a simile from Joyce – like a rapier point of consciousness
pricking me with an awareness of language-loss and cultural dispossession, and
tempting me into binary thinking about language. I tended to conceive of English and
Irish as adversarial tongues, as either/or conditions rather than both/and, and this was an
attitude that for a long time hampered the development of a more confident and creative
way of dealing with the whole vexed question – the question, that is, of the relationship
between nationality, language, history and literary tradition in Ireland.
>>
>>23560318
>There was one area, however, where certain strangeness in the diction came naturally. In those instances where a local Ulster word seemed either poetically or historically
right, I felt free to use it. For example, at lines 324 and 2988 I use the word ‘graith’ for
‘harness’, and at 3026 ‘hoked’ for ‘rooted about’, because the local term seemed in each
case to have special body and force. Then, for reasons of historical suggestiveness, I
have in several instances used the word ‘bawn’ to refer to Hrothgar’s hall. In
Elizabethan English, bawn (from the Irish bó-dhún, a fort for cattle) referred specifically
to the fortified dwellings that the English planters built in Ireland to keep the
dispossessed natives at bay, so it seemed the proper term to apply to the embattled keep
where Hrothgar waits and watches. Indeed, every time I read the lovely interlude that
tells of the minstrel singing in Heorot just before the first attacks of Grendel, I cannot
help thinking of Edmund Spenser in Kilcolman Castle, reading the early cantos of The
Faerie Queene to Sir Walter Raleigh, just before the Irish would burn the castle and
drive Spenser and Munster back to the Elizabethan court. Putting a bawn into Beowulf
seems one way for an Irish poet to come to terms with that complex history of conquest
and colony, absorption and resistance, integrity and antagonism, a history that has to be
clearly acknowledged by all concerned in order to render it ever more ‘willable forward
/ again and again and again’.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.