[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

To me, they same a collection of short sentences together who sometimes rhyms... I just don't get it.
It feels like some sort of gnostic secret knoweldge to "get it" like poems lover...
What I am missing here? I'm fluent in french and english and I've read the poems from Robert Frost a long time ago and I just don't get it?
If it's a flaw on my part, help me to understand poems and why I should read them.
>>
>>23558599
Buy an introductory book about poetry which explains to you what metre is, and read plenty of poets who are good as introductions to poetry, like Shakespeare, Keats, Byron, Wordsworth, Tennyson, Kipling, etc. That's not to say these poets are only for amateurs but their charm is easy to be appreciated by amateurs. The point being, just read a lot of poetry, find poems you like, and then analyse why you like them. One way of looking poetry, though not at all serviceable as a standard definition, is as compacted and concentration language.
>>
>>23558599
Poetry shouldn't be approached as prose cut up into short sentences (which is incidentally one of the reasons poetry is so shit today).

Poetry, is, above all, a rhythmic style of communication, almost musical in form, and you have to read it as you might read a song. Pay attention to the words and their meaning, but also pay attention to the rhythm, the flowing of words together.
>>
>>23558599
You need to read aloud

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.