[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6533.jpg (2.5 MB, 3022x3940)
2.5 MB
2.5 MB JPG
>is better than blood meridian in almost every way
How did he do it and why isn’t this and Lonesome Dove talked about more here? Is it the 20-something pseuds impressed by purple prose and the implied and expressed sodomy?
>>
Can't you faggots start a thread without baiting people with time wasting comparisons?
>>
>>23585565
No
>>
>>23585549
>mccarthy
>purple prose
you have severe brain damage if you find mccarthy at all excessive
>>
>>23585549
Lonesome Dove gets a fair amount of mentions but these are western genre stories that don’t really break the mold. They’re very good, but still firmly western stories. I’d put True Grit on that list as well. Blood Meridian is genuinely something else just as Moby Dick isn’t really another marine adventure story.
I think part of the resistance is just that people can’t think of a western genre story as genuinely good. I think that’s a mistake. Lord of the Rings is a genuinely great fantasy story, but it’s not transcending that form. Narnia wouod be a case of the author desperately wanting the work to transcend the form, but ultimately failing.
>>
Um... Why are you reading problenatic chud stuff? Anyways blood meridian is better because judge holden is a wholesome theyfab queen
>>
Uh oh… McCarthy bros.. I don’t feel so good
>>
>>23585579

BM doesn’t belong in the same discussion as Moby Dick not even close and if you genuinely think that you’ve lost your mind.
>>
>>23585599
Blood Meridian (1 985) seems to me the authentic American apoc
alyptic novel, more relevant even in 2000 than it was fifteen years
ago. The fulfilled renown of Moby-Dick and of As I Lay Dying is
augmented by Blood Meridian, since Cormac McCarthy is the
worthy disciple both of Melville and of Faulkner. I venture that
no other living American novelist, not even Pynchon, has given
us a book as strong and memorable as Blood Meridian, much as I
appreciate Don DeLillo's Underworld, Philip Roth's Zuckerman
Bound, Sabbath's Theater, and American Pastoral and Pynchon's
Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon. McCarthy himself, in his
recent Border trilogy, commencing with the superb All the Pretty
Horses, has not matched Blood Meridian, but it is the ultimate
Western, not to be surpassed.
>>
>>23585549
Are your jeans tucked into your boots? Are you some kind of fag?
>>
>>23585549
While I think McCarthy is technically the “better” writer on account of his prose, I find McMurtry a much more enjoyable read because he creates characters I care about and a narrative thrill (and humour) that I find lacking in McCarthy. For me, it’s a classic example of “pulp” or “popular” writing feeling more alive than “literary” writing.
>>
>>23585642
Probably just a city slicker
>>
i loved the larry mcmurtry cowboy books when i was a teenager and they are supremely comfy, but they're not amazing literature. they're nice well written genre stuff for people who don't want to read challenging stuff. there's nothing wrong with that i suppose but if you're super impressed by it you probably haven't read a lot
>>
>hell bitch killed newt
still haven't finished streets to this day

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.