[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: alan watts.jpg (48 KB, 640x637)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
What did Watts mean by this? Why is there meaning in just being alive? What's the point?
>>
>>23614245
To be alive
why? because you can experience things
if you don't want to experience things then you can kill yourself
>>
It's kind of a shorter way to say what he says in this video, if it'll help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4
>>
he's a retard who's dodging the question because he's afraid to confront the unknown
>>
it's funny how atheist venerate a drug addict
>>
>>23614251
Noooo, you can't just enjoy life in all its facets and colors, you have to slave away at some vain goal!
>>
>>23614245
Yeah but I want more, “being here” isn’t cutting it.
>>
>>23614245
>What did Watts mean by this?
Idiot copout. Poor interpretation of Jung.
>>
>>23614255
>>23614331
Can't you enjoy having goals and moving up in life? I enjoy the process. What does Watts expect you to do otherwise? Just be an author or whatever as a starving artist? From my understanding, he already came from wealth. His advice is great for someone wealthy, but if you're poor you need to escape poverty or life really sucks.
>>23614349
this
>>
>>23614245
Good quote
>>
>>23614245
gotta come up with some reason or other not to kill yourself.
>>
>>23614245
He’s right. Life should be cherished and celebrated in itself. What you do with it is up to you.
>>
iykyk
>>
>>23614260
I would say they venerate the ideas he shared and helped them understand as opposed to venerating him as a person. Literature would be lacking a great deal if you removed the work done by alcoholics.
>>
>>23614375
You can enjoy it but it is not necessary. An author/starving artist are the least ‘alive’ things you can do as you’re perverting life with the mind - it’s the exact opposite of what he is talking about.
>>
>>23614375
thinking u need wealth or to be struggling to experience life is brainlet shit my nigga, get out of here
>>
>>23614245
He explains the idea in great detail in several of his talks.

One example he uses is music and dancing. When you dance, you're not trying to get from point A to point B, when you play music you're not trying to get to the end of the composition in the most efficient way.
So music and dancing are examples of processes that don't have an external goal, they are not means to an end, they are an end in themselves.
So he says that life and existence are like that.
>>
>>23614748
he's right. it's easy to get filtered by his simplicity because we heuristically expect complex answers to (seemingly) complex questions
>>
>>23614260
>an atheist is someone who doesn't conform to meh christcuckery
>>23614375
I can't tell if you're simply a bugman or an actual neurotic jew. Life isn't meant to be grinded like a videogame.
>>
>>23614245
>'uhhh just be alive and live for the moment, trust me'
>what did he mean by this?

Simply something he'd tell his students before trying to bone them. He was an alcoholic, who cheated on his wife and manipulated his students, telling hippies nihilistic-hedonistic ''JUST BE, YOURE ALREDY PERFECT LOL" shit was him priming them for a drug orgy
>>
>>23614729
>perverting life with the mind
the mind is part of life. you are so afraid of it is not even funny.
>>
>>23614930
Again, you’re misunderstanding.. which makes sense given your continual misuse of the English language
>>
>>23614864
>I can't tell if you're simply a bugman or an actual neurotic jew. Life isn't meant to be grinded like a videogame.
why not? videogames are fun.
>>
The degree to which you can experience a good life is determined by genetics and luck.
>>
>>23616127
No it depends on the expectations that have been set for you and how they get met.
>>
>>23614349
You are Lucifer incarnate
>>
>>23614748
What kind of music are we talking about? Tribal? Radio music is definetly designed with a purpose. There is a lot of money and message tied to an art project.
>>
>>23614245
>The meaning of life is just to be alive. The meaning of life is to die. The meaning of life is to perfect your body. The meaning of life is to achieve transcendence. The meaning of life is to live with virtue. The meaning of life is to live in accordance with nature. The meaning of life is to live in accordance with god. The meaning of life is to live freely. The meaning of life is suffer and struggle. The meaning of life is to explore. The meaning of life comes from introspection. The meaning of life is A. The meaning of life is B. The meaning of life TAWTESGASDGSDF THE MEANING OF LIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

..........like...please just calm down....just shut up.
>>
File: 1691765370310689.jpg (41 KB, 322x337)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
The meaning of life is wrap yourself in a warm blanket after a hot shower, take a slice off that chocolate fudge and shitpost till your eyes rock you to a good night's sleep.
>>
problem with this midwit attitude is that to simply be alive sucks cock. so if this is your position then there's no good reason for most people not to just kill themselves
>>
>>23614257
This, biggest cope in the history of mankind
>>
>>23616531
You missed out the one thing which is actually the meaning of life which is love. Not unconditional love, that’s for the weak. Only love people who deserve it.
>>
>>23616579
I was trying to make a point about humans and their tendency to complicate things.
>>
>>23616255
Knowing your expectations have been lowered, that it could be better, soils it.
>>
>>23614245
I feel like this is one of those things you either get or you don't. You need to have one of those stoner moments, not necessarily while taking drugs, where everything suddenly appears to be inherently significant.
>>
>>23614245
If you like the semi-profound dribble of this retard you're ngmi
>>
>>23614245
You really can only say shit like this if you live a privileged first world life without any health problems or crippling poverty. In other words, when you live in a society for which countless others have suffered in trying to build it.
>>
File: I strive for my work.jpg (177 KB, 768x580)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>23614245
He meant that the philosophical and scientific pursuit of the One True Purpose of Life is simply a byproduct of a multi-generational trauma that Western civilization has been perpetuating for thousands of years, and he wasn't wrong.

That said, cultures that were never traumatized like this (e.g., Asian) fell behind in terms of scientific discovery, technological ingenuity, and artistic originality. Hence why Nietzsche wants MORE suffering, not less, for his disciples.
>>
I cant stop farting
>>
>>23614864
>Life isn't meant to be grinded like a videogame.
I mean... it is if you are into that kind of thing. I think ultimately the quote is for people who let that kind of thinking be the only way to live, and therefore creat anxiety in them to achieve. But some people thrive on that anxiety as an ecstasy rather than a kind of suffering, to which I think Watts would have said "more power to you." Lets not forget that Watts aspired to be a widely renowned orator and teacher, he just didn't let that path cause him suffering.
>>
>>23614375
You're on a website that is infested with people who want to demoralise you. Do not waste your time arguing with them.
>>
>>23614245
i feel like watts and gaston bachelard are the only people i can listen to when in severe bouts of depression
>>
>>23619107
>gaston bachelard
who's this?
>>
>>23614245
Yes. The meaning of life is experience.
>>
>>23619133
french philosopher who lectures on poetry and memories, architecture and space, but also known for stuff on the philosophy of science.
the poetry and architecture stuff - very life affirming if you know french
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephpGDIhwIs&list=PLXi8twtuwjjkYJ8cZIorwUclg4prgRRR3&index=1
>>
>>23614245
Watts was a charlatan.
>>
>>23614245
Contentment is to be found by focusing your attention on the present moment.
People who strive after goals are always focused on the future, and never achieve contentment.
>>
>>23614245
It is. The purpose of life is life itself. It's a chain reaction going on for the past 3 billion years, and every living creature has the fundamental instinct hard wired into it to survive and reproduce. Everything else is secondary.
>>
>>23614245
Watts was an alcoholic charlatan that actual Buddhists saw through.
>>
>>23614748
>music and dancing are examples of processes that don't have an external goal
Of course they fucking do, are you retarded? You could write entire books about the purposes and goals of music and dance, and I'm sure many have been written.
>>
>>23619681
Yeah, I don't understand the analogy either. Obviously, some parts of songs are better than others. You listen through the more boring parts so it builds up to the best part. Same as life. I work hard through the day, so the leisure parts feel better. If I were constantly playing the good part of a song on a loop, it would lose its appeal, but with a yin-yang effect, it's sustainable.
If we all listened literally to Watts, we would likely become alcoholics/drug addicts chasing temptation after temptation, which seemed to be what he did, with just enough work in between to sustain his lifestyle.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.