[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iliad.jpg (207 KB, 1500x2342)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
Does anyone else get hungry as fuck reading the Iliad? It's like "something just happened so we need to roast an ox and describe it in succulent detail." Always makes me want roasted meats and olive oil.
>>
>>23614321

No, not at all. I finished it recently, and I found it to be extremely tedious and dull. A battle, gust spill, the gods intervene, whoop-dee-doo. Thersites is the only man of value in the book, because he speaks the truth. But Odysseus has to check him, otherwise we don't have our movie.

The whole problem with stories themselves is that they require conflict.
>>
>>23614321
>>23614351
I found it boring also. Achilles was a massive faggot and even when he gets himself in trouble and the river Xanthus is about to kill him, mommy goddess shows up to save him. It's basically anime tier.
>>
>>23614321
>>
>>23614351
>Limp wristed /lit/ homo identifies with the ugly cowardly freak bullied for being a homo

Like pottery

Iliad is based. This place prefers novels about endless neurotic mental anguish because ur all homos
>>
>>23614321
I think youre just a fat fatty always hungry fatso eating too much lardy fatty fat fat fat fat fatso
>>
File: IMG_0200.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>23614351
>Thersites is the only man of value in the book, because he speaks the truth. But Odysseus has to check him, otherwise we don't have our movie.

Your analysis of that scene is entirely moronic. Thersites is supposed to represent the reader/ typical person who asks “why doesn’t someone just tell Agamemnon he is a jerk?” It’s not his place in the system of monarchy and also Achilles shouldn’t have mouth offed at his superior leader of the chieftains and expected no retribution.

>>23614907
Logically you are supposed to understand Thersites’ objections but he is very VERY Reddit with his misunderstanding of what even was going on there. Agamemnon caused the plague unintentionally by taking war tribute and Achilles mouthed off about it and Agamemnon felt offended enough to take Briseis. They both have legitimate grievances with which to hate each other.
>>
>>23614321
Great cover
>>
>>23614351
literally everything in life requires conflict. This is like complaining that gravity always exists in stories
>>
>>23614416
>>23614351
this is why we need to stop telling these faggot zoomers to start with the greeks. Their brainrot is too severe.
>>
>>23614351
It has an anime tier plot-line, and 80% of the entire text is bloat. Just read the penguin classic introduction and book 24 of the actual text and you will save yourself 12 hours worth of brain-numbingly boring shite.
>>
>>23615682
>anime-tier
I really wish you would kill yourself and I'm not being ironic.
>>
>>23614321
homer must've been fucking starving when he composed it
>>
>>23614351
thersites says the same as achillies but achillies is in council with the other wanexes and this makes a difference, its why we dont have a live cspan channel of the oval office, also achillies is checked by athena,
>>
>>23616013
you've been in these threads 5 years and your english is still awful
>>
>>23616013
Anyone who agrees with Thersites, I ask them to view it from Agamemnon’s pov

>you are in a war of attrition against the enemy of your brother
>you win a prize captive but it unexpectedly brings a plague to your army
>the enemy’s priest crosses enemy lines to order you to give her back
>hot headed Achilles decides to insult you in front of everyone for something you really didn’t have much say in
>>
>>23614321
No, but I remember getting really hungry reading Name of the Rose when I was a teenager. There's this long description of all the stuff they eat at a banquet with fancy guests, and it's like
>five roast lambs
>five roast boars
>two whole spitroast cows
>500 baked sparrows
>200 fried pigeons
>50 pounds of blue cheese aged in the local caves
>200 liters of red wine
>500 liters of the monastery's own beer
and so on. I've never had pigeon, let alone sparrow, but it made it sound so indulgent.
>>
>>23615584
Defend this shit then. It's just senseless battles with a bunch of randomly named people dying. The only interesting things were the plotting of the different gods to try and favor their side, but that was a relatively small part and it usually ends in one of the gods just deciding to manifest and help through magic. Yes, literal magic. It's actually dumb, as in, "The Emperor has no clothes" dumb. You probably just think "it's old and well known, it must be good!"
>>
>>23616226
JFC, I can't take it with some of the stupidity on this board anymore. Are you completely blind to the fact that the story is thousands of years old and you might just need to read it in context? You're seriously critiquing the inclusion of deus ex machina in the story that invented it? Yes, it's literal magic, because they're literally gods.
>It's just senseless battles with a bunch of randomly named people dying.
Homer wasn't writing for retards like you who nitpick at media for internet points, he wrote epic poems to be recited in person to entertain ancient audiences, so yes, there are battles, because battles are exciting and entertaining. Those soldiers are explicitly named because Homer was glorifying and exalting the characters. He was exalting the INDIVIDUAL soldiers that fought.
>senseless battles
I literally have no idea what you expected. It is a story about WAR, and even though you're stupid enough to read a story about war if you're offended by senseless battles, he still gives you better action and more vivid characters than most action stories written today. If you're a pacifist or something then no wonder you don't like the story. Homer isn't a 21st century wimp that doesn't know what masculinity is, he actually cares about concepts like glory and honour and they are at the heart of the story.
No, it's not good because it's old, but you only know about a story this old because it's good and has stood the test of time. If you don't like The Iliad, that is completely fine by me, but "anime tier" and "waaah forced conflict" and pre-emptively coping by assuming I only like it because it's "old" makes you sound like a blithering retard.
>>
>>23616305
>It was the first to use a hacky trope so that means the hacky trope is immune from criticism here
No
>>
>>23614918

I didn't "misunderstand" that the guy who is conveniently written to be a very ugly quasimodo is clearly "out of place" when he is speaking to his betters. This angle is manifest in the thing, and obvious. It isn't anywhere nearly as deep as you pretend it to be.

The point is that the very ugly guy is RIGHT. They should have just gotten back in the boats and gone home. What do you care about some other guy's woman. The truth has greater value than social conventions, glory, honor, that sort of thing. And they hated him because he told the truth.

In fact, in the chapter we're referring to, the rank and file pick up on this. They do in fact start back for the boats around this point (IIRC Agamemnon is bantering with them, goading them to go back to the boats) and then Odysseus has to work the "room", guys he's just fucking with you slow down you're supposed to want to fight.
>>
>>23616996
You're beyond retarded. Return to tiktok.
>>
File: drooling-homer.jpg (19 KB, 279x320)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>23615722
>>
>>23616996
this is like denying Seinfeld is one of the most influential shows in the history of television because it uses tropes and jokes (that it invented) that have been played to death today... not understanding that back then it was brand spanking new and probably hilarious
>>
>>23618485
The Illiad sucks and is only relevant because of it's cultural significance. The work, in and of itself, is dogshit.
>>23618498
Seinfeld stands up on it's own merits and it funny regardless of it's use of tropes. The Illiad uses tropes that just make it boring with zero stakes and massive contrivances.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.