[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it really true that you have to finish your manuscript before you can get a book deal? I've heard of writers like Zadie Smith who got deals on much smaller samples of their writing. I'd like to submit the first third of my manuscript because without a deal and some money coming in I don't know if I can make it to the end.
>>
>>23617047
In my country, one of the big publisher accept 70-120 (or 130?) page of manuscript, other publishing branch would ask minimum 50 page of manuscript up to 100, the other one would ask minimum of 30 page of manuscript. Its different and it depends on the publishing branch. But once the editorial team have accepted your script, the story could stretch up to another hundred pages or so.
>>
>>23617259

what country are you in? i have about 90k words worth of manuscript that is more or less ready to submit. the rest of it will add up to maybe another 100k.
>>
>>23617047
gay
>>
>>23617047
zadie smith shits on anything you will ever write and it's not even close
>>
Zadie Smith had most of White Teeth ready, she'd published some shorter stuff, and was already the darling of one the world's great universities, plus she was a very pretty mixed raced woman just as publishers were starting to care about displaying their credentials about that sort of thing
What I'm saying is, she's probably not your best role model here
>>
>>23618299

There's also Kristen Roupenian, who wrote Cat Person, nothing more than a short story, and got a huge book deal. I think in general a lot of people who wrote nothing more than a short stories got novel deals or short story collection deals.
>>
>>23619878
>Her father is a medical doctor, and her mother is a retired nurse. Roupenian graduated from Barnard College in 2003 with a dual degree in English and Psychology and holds a PhD in English Literature from Harvard University, as well as a Master of Fine Arts from the Helen Zell Writers’ Program at the University of Michigan.
Her family has money.
>>
>>23619878
>>23619895
And her story went super viral and was a shared experience to millenial women. Of course companies would bid for that.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.