[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Books.jpg (58 KB, 628x327)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Books that will help me understand the ancient/medieval worldview?
>>
>>23617249
How come I've never seen this 'lewis? I've read every lewis.
>>
>>23617401
This was Lewis wearing his medievalist hat, has nothing to do with Christian apologetics or the like. It’s an interesting read if you want to understand the medieval ‘model’ of the cosmos.
>>
>>23617249
Have you considered reading works by ancient and medieval authors
>>
Laurus - Eugene Vodolazkin
>>
I would think St. Augustine is pretty obviously a must read. Allegedly, Charlemagne had City of God read to him often.
>>
I read both the Discarded Image and the Ancient City. I think I need to go back and reread, because it didn't really sink in. Pre-modern people and culture are strange.
>>
>>23617249
It depends what you're looking for. Your question encompasses both a massive time frame along with a very general criterium.
If you're looking for a text that gives you a general idea of what normal people living in medieval England were like, what they believed, and how they acted, then Canterbury Tales is a great read.
>>
>>23617401
It went to print a couple months after his death, so isn't included in some lists of his writings.
>>
>>23617249
Foxe's Book of Martyrs
>>
>>23619025
Absolutely, but wouldn’t it help to have context going in?
>>23619029
Read it, and yeah I agree. Should’ve added it to the pic
>>23619094
Read Discarded image a while back and I liked it. I’m reading the Ancient City now, but it is kind of boring me. But I can see that it’s important.
>>
>>23617249
Protip: If a non-fiction book does have a long boring-ass and/or descriptive name 9 times out of 10 it is pop garbage.
>>
>>23619305
>Absolutely, but wouldn’t it help to have context going in?
You can get sufficient context from introductions/indexes/footnotes/etc
Pretty much every modern edition of an ancient or medieval work will contain these
>>
>>23619340
Did you mean 'does' or 'does not'?
>>
>>23619424
does not* sorry
>>
>>23617249
"The Great Chain of Being" A. Lowejoy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.