[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1685909850395198.png (1.35 MB, 2048x1512)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
How do I get started with short stories?

With novels there are plenty of charts and conversations centered on which ones are considered the best and worth reading, but not so much with short stories. Where do I start to see if I like them?
>>
>>23617470
I haven’t checked the sticky in a minute but I seem to recall there being a short story section on the wiki

What kind of thing do you like? Reading Dubliners is going to be different from a Lovecraft collection. Many famous novelists have also written short story collections, check the bibliography of your favourite writers
>>
A few authors come to mind:

Chekhov
Munro
Dick
Llosa
Borges
de Maupassant
Carver
Runyon
>>
Short stories are for students, teachers, editors, and writers. literally no reason to read them if you don't fall into that category.
>>
>>23617480
My taste isn't very refined since I've been reading fiction for about a year and a half. Kek never thought to check the sticky though and looking over charts now, thanks.

>>23617498
Thanks

>>23617516
I'm something of a writer
>>
>>23617516
And there’s no reason to be on 4chan unless you’re fucking brain dead, so look who’s talking.

Reading is a leisure activity, it’s fine and even preferable to engage with greater and lesser forms of writing.
>>
>>23617527
That anon doesn't believe what he types. It's a arbitrary opinion he has summoned for this thread for (You)s.
>>
Brian Evenson

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.