[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Milton was right about rhyming.
>>
Nah. Milton sucks.
>>
>>23617974
What'd he say?
>>
"Rhyme with God or go to hell. Your choice." -John "The Buttfuck" Milton
>>
>>23617974
*Marlowe
>>
What is Milton looking at?
>>
>>23617995
The Measure is English Heroic Verse without Rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and Virgil in Latin; Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age, to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian, and Spanish Poets of prime note have rejected Rhime both in longer and shorter Works, as have also long since our best English Tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, triveal, and of no true musical delight; which consists onely in apt Numbers, fit quantity of Syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one Verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings, a fault avoyded by the learned Ancients both in Poetry and all good Oratory. This neglect then of Rhime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar Readers, that it rather is to be esteem'd an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recover'd to heroic Poem from the troublesom and modern bondage of Rimeing.
>>
>>23618021
"I like to stare
At your derriere"
- John "Real One" Milton
>>
>>23617974
Gritty drake style, to the ground
As God casteth my spirit from Ohio
The Heavens I now depart, for Tomato town
Where the fanum doth tax
and the rizzlers grind
>>
>>23618021
nothing, he's blind.
>>
>>23618061
Brainrot lingo forever corrupted Milton today.
>>
>>23618025
Zoomers can't read that
>>
File: 1721724283699.jpg (100 KB, 900x750)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>23617974
spenser mogs
>>
>>23618267
i can read that
t. esl zoomba
>>
>>23617994
you suck
>>
>>23618061
30 years from now, after WWIII, this will be held up as an example of zoomer's post-ironic literature.
>>
>>23618025
>thank god for chatgpt
The standard here is English heroic verse without rhyme, similar to the epic poems of Homer in Greek and Virgil in Latin. Rhyme is not a necessary part or true decoration of poetry or good verse, especially in longer works. It was invented in a barbaric age to embellish poor content and clumsy meter. Although some famous modern poets have used rhyme due to custom, it has often caused them frustration, limited their expression, and made their work worse than it might have been. For this reason, some notable Italian and Spanish poets have rejected rhyme in both long and short works, as have our best English tragedies for a long time. To discerning listeners, rhyme is trivial and does not provide true musical pleasure, which is found in well-proportioned lines, appropriate syllable counts, and the flow of meaning from one verse to another, rather than in the sound of similar endings. The educated poets and orators of ancient times avoided this flaw. Therefore, the absence of rhyme should not be seen as a flaw, even though it might seem so to unrefined readers. Instead, it should be viewed as an example of regaining the ancient freedom in heroic poetry, freeing it from the troublesome and modern constraint of rhyming.
>>
>>23619752
Your only excuse for posting this monstrosity is if you're esl.
>>
>>23618341
i like them both equally along with thomas gray
>>
>>23617996
He didn't say that.
>>
>>23621158
He did through me from beyond.
>>
>>23618341
he certainly looks the part of a brutal mogger
>>
poetry that doesn't rhyme is just a sad joke.
>>
>>23621572
I'm pretty sure the only people who say this are retards who have no other way of distinguishing poetry from prose.
>>
>>23621572
so all greco-roman poetry is shit?
>>
>>23621587
poetry arose from Song. just because some ancient gayreek (not all) poets couldn't rhyme does not excuse not rhyming. Songs have to rhyme to sound good. it's just an objective fact. Homer is excused by the fact of being one of the first Western writers of any kind, writing an epic that serves well as prose in itself. consider Poland's national epic Pan Tadeusz written by Adam Mickiewicz - it rhymes. but there is a 2,600 year difference between them and it's most likely Homer was a blind man
>>
>>23621598
if you have access to good translations that rhyme, then it's good. but as an Anglo access to good poetry that isn't just pop singing is hard.
>>
File: 1685398739913157.jpg (3 KB, 101x155)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
Milton has a point about English poetry not needing to rhyme, but I wonder about that application to blank verse. Unrhymed blank verse is a little troublesome in that it sounds so much like plain, ordinary speech, and spoken aloud you wonder if it is even poetry at all. Samuel Johnson once quoted an English peasant reading Milton who said "It's like he's trying to rhyme but can't get the right of it," or something similar.

I don't THINK English poetry NEEDS rhyme but maybe iambic pentameter does. Outside of Shakespeare, at least. Shakespeare is wriitng lines of dialogue; Milton is writing poetic action, narration and more, and it doesn't always fit.

I think a bigger, more energetic line can work as poetry in English without rhyme. Something larger and stronger, something closer to the Greek dactylic hexameter in its length and power. I have experimented with bigger lines of English verse myself, more dynamic, and have been pleased with the results.
>>
Meter, rhythm and flow are indeed more important than rhyme.
But my favorite poems are by Lewis Carroll so I doubt I understand much about poetry.
>>
>>23621646
>Meter, rhythm and flow are indeed more important than rhyme.
all are important. if you can't do them all, you're just not cut to be a poet. simple as. don't listen to hacks and strive to be the best. don't settle for mediocrity
>>
>>23621601
If you think rhyme is the most fundamental element of musical language, words written for singing, i.e. verse, then you are a FUCKING IDIOT.
>>
>>23621663
if you think you can link me a good song without any rhymes in it, you're just a dumb faggot
>>
>>23621601
Mickiewicz is a talentless hack.
>>
>>23621663
You're a fucking hack
Grab your poems, take em back
Slap your face with fat stacks
I'm publishing to the max
With rhymes that cant chillax
Got 10/10 on goodreads
from girlies aint had their first bleed
Go nuts on your boy Harold Bloom
While I skeet on your mom on shrooms
>>
>>23618025
I can understand that cramming rhymes for the sake of it is bad, but so is deliberately avoiding them.
>>
>>23621546
People that can't into mysticism seeth harder!
>>
>>23621598
Learn how to read! All greco-roman poetry is just a sad joke!
>>
>>23622430
but it isn't
>>
>>23617974
>>23619752
>>23621663
>Milton, finding blank verse easier than rhyme, was desirous of persuading himself that it is better.
>>
>>23624475
rhyme in an epic poem would sound corny
>>
>>23621839
how was he talentless? write a rhymed epic poem of like 400 pages with a stable meter for me right now. you can't
>>
>>23625190
Pope's Iliad is GOAT.
>>
>>23625302
yeah the gayest of all time
>>
>>23621641
it's because of the prevalence of monosyllabic words in english.
>>
I've never read a good English poem that didn't rhyme.
>>
>>23626557
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Beowulf_(Harrison_and_Sharp)
>>
File: Portrait_de_Dante.jpg (76 KB, 640x972)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>23625190
Really?
>>
>>23625190
>t. never read Dante, Ariosto, Tasso, Spenser, et al
>>
>>23628085
Yes

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.