[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What's your ultimate fantasy library? What are its core components? What are its especial ecclectia? Who do you permit to use it? Paint me a picture.
>>
Well, I suppose I'll start then and share some of my own dreamy tomes. I already have quite a bit, but these will be what I still wish for. Collecting for a gentleman's library is a slow thing on my current budget. There are authors I may put on the list eventually, but I'm just not sure about them yet.

>Reference
The Cambridge Ancient History—all volumes
The Cambridge History of Ancient Christianity
The Oxford Greek Lexicon (I already have the Cambridge Greek Lexicon)
A similarly excellent Latin dictionary, but I don't know which one to choose. Cassell's is the only one I've ever laid a hand on.
The Oxford Illustrated History of the Crusades
A copy of the Magna Carta
A copy of the Declaration of Independence

>Source Texts
The complete Loeb collection (preferably including older editions by now replaced translators)
Oxford Classical Texts, possibly complete, or else only for what would also be my preferred Loeb's, which are: Horace, Ovid, Virgil, Seneca, Cicero, Caesar, Cassius Dio, Tacitus, Suetonius, Homer, Hesiod, Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Aristophanes, Plutarch, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Xenophon, Herodotus, Thucydides, Sappho & Alcaeus, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
The Manyoshu — preferably with translation, and that goes for the rest of the classical Japanese texts.
Kojiki and Nihon Shoki
Genji Monogatari
Heike Monogatari (I have translation for this already)

>Poetry (much of this I have on Kindle via Gutenberg, but I want really lovely editions)
Milton
Spencer
Pope

>Philosophy
The Presocratics (which should also deserve to be in the sources section)
Kierkegaard, especially some of his lesser-known scribbles. I've enjoyed reading them.
Kant's Prolegomena, Critiques, and it might be nice to have a copy of his doctoral thesis.
Pascal's Pensées

>History and Anthropology
God's War: A New History of the Crusades; Christopher Tyreman
A History of the Crusades; Steven Runciman
The Paideia trilogy and Theology of the Early Greek Philosophers: the Gifford Lectures, 1936; Werner Jaeger
Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture; L. Noble
The Rebuilding of Windsor Castle; Adam Nicolson
The Ancient Kingdoms of Peru; Nigel Davies

>Novels (The most dubious category, as these are mainly works I wish to read which might, therefore, fail to meet the rigorous standard required to earn a permanent place among my things)
All the King's Men; Robert Penn Warren
The Scoop, Handful of Dust, and perhaps his final trilogy; Evelyn Waugh
The Great Gatsby, Tender is the Night; F. Scott Fitzgerald (I'm due rereading of TGG by a mile!)
The Palliser Novels and Barsetshire Chronicles; Anthony Trollope (I have a few of these. I want them all!)
The Arabian Nights; I forget who-by
I want to read a novel by Pico Iyer. I think I will enjoy his writing, but the only novel I've seen on the shelves is his Islam-entrenched romance novel. I'm not interested in that.

I'm out of room, but I could keep going easily.
>>
>>23618451
Parallel Lives (complete)
Gibbons' Decline & Fall
Sumption's 100 Years' War
The complete works of Tarzan
>>
File: 1706622271528410.png (170 KB, 499x353)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>23618829
OoOo, good ones!
>>
My library is surrounded by windows and it is always raining. As for books, mostly Russian and German theological books. Also there's a bench press so I can do reps in between chapters. If we are allowed to request lost books I'd like to read Dostoevsky's unwritten sequel to The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
>>23618451
I already have over 2,000 books so I guess I have one already
>>
>>23618870
Hehe, sounds awesome, yet opposite of my own fantasy library.

I would wish mine to always have some cheerful amount of sunlight, even in the rain, with house plants mixed in generously, and a brass tray cart for tea or coffee, possibly even a little station for them in a corner. I want a place for a chessboard, and enough chairs and sofas to allow visitors, but never more visitors than seating permits, and only those who treat books like infirm loved ones or darling infants. I want the library to open to an atrium with a garden on one side, with a patio just out of the door. As I'm picturing it, the patio itself is more of a green-room ensconced in a circular sitting-room of the library—one side bubbling out towards the atrium, one side rounded into a side of the library. This can be a place for a smoke and conversation for guests who wish it. I'll have necessary implements prepared in the room—papers, tobacco, cigars, cutters, etc.,. I don't smoke; though I used to use a tobacco pipe. I'm picturing the colors ranging from cream and peach, to orange, blood, and young shades of green. The other side of the library will be the music room for the piano and so on—though the heavy double sliding-doors separating the two will not permit of unwanted distraction.

Or something like that.
>>
File: 1648707560562.png (50 KB, 656x513)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>23618882
When did you last count? Aren't you due a recount? Aren't you due to trim the fat and refresh the collection with new additions? Surely, it's time.
>>
>>23618451
10,000 copies of every print media ever written.
>>
>>23618820
Honestly some of the older Loeb translations are really terrible. A translation ought to be as close as possible to the original text.
>>
>>23619901
I trust modern scholars less—Harvard is an especially wicked school. As for closeness, it depends. In general, it is best, but a tasteful translator can make a translation a beautiful work in its own right. I'm going to be reading the original anyway. The translation is for the art.
>>
>>23618451
For me, my library would include as many books and assorted media that are considered significant, as well as those I find interesting. Only I and my close friends and immediate family would have access, but they would have a certain portion while the rest would be for me only. Also, if I can, I'd like a hidden section to keep my books and such that I'd rather my friends and family not know about. A secret archive, if you like.
>>
>>23618451
I’d really like a solid collection of forgotten works in English between 1850 & 1940. I think the joy would be discovering new books and info I didn’t know of.

The only well-known author from the time period I’d like to have an original copy of in my library Is Edgar Allan Poe.

Outside of books I’d like to have one of the origin golden age Superman comics. Closest I can get is silver age stuff.
>>
>>23620957
>secret archive
Good idea. That would be great.
>>
>>23618451
I’ve got ~700 books in a 10 x 10 ft room with bookcases on every inch of the wall so I’m fine with mine and think it good obviously as I like my own taste. I guess I’d just want a bigger room
>>
Every Íslenzk fornrit edition
A large collection of La Pléiade editions
>>
bump

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.