[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

> You do recite homer in ancient greek, right anon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzal-36eIoY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJQ0TcBmqU
>>
unironically based this is why I come to this board
>>
just read pharr's homeric greek and you can do it too. unfortunately there aren't very good recitations of homer online (pronunciation wise) aside from maybe this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0mkt6Z3I0
>>
>>23618544
I'm always doubtful of the legitimacy of "proper historic pronounciation". I wonder whethere linguists narrow down the proper pronounciation by whittling down all that is proven to be wrong, and assume what is left is the best approximation. I'd rather learn latin, although I started and stopped twice. Eventually I'll do it since I feel I can't connect with most of modern writting, and ancient works that we have are the distillate of centuries of writting.
>>
>>23618605
>I wonder whethere linguists narrow down the proper pronounciation by whittling down all that is proven to be wrong, and assume what is left is the best approximation.
Doesn't really have to be that complex. Start with modern pronunciation and proceed backwards; look for misspellings in written documents and loanwords. For example the word "Καῖσαρ" is taken directly from the Latin "Caesar". From this we can deduce that the Greek "Kappa" and Latin "C" and the diphthongs "αι" and "ae" were most likely pronounced similarly during the time of Julius Caesar.
Also, one strong argument for using the reconstructed pronunciation is that it preserves the Greek metre. You can hear how little structure or music there is in the recitation by Boris and the old guy.
>>
>>23619500
it's hard for shakespearan english, let alone bc language. You'd have to cultivate multipke schools of pronounciation for texts from different periods and geographic locations.
>>
See, it's funny. In Central Asia they could run circles around this guy since that is still an oral culture not tainted as much by script. You can find loads of videos of dudes just chilling in the mountain letting out 30 minute war chants reciting epics that haven't even been fully translated into English
>>
bump
>>
BAP did it best

https://youtu.be/d2a53kCfNiU?feature=shared
>>
>>23618544
How different is Homeric Greek to the Greek of Thucydides, Xenophon, etc.
>>
>>23620810
Not that different, you learn it just like you learn a dialect (similar to how you have to "learn" Ionic for Herodotus). It's actually often considered easier because it has uncontracted forms of things that are later contracted and thus less distinct, so some people say that if you learn Homeric or even learn it first, it can make learning subsequent Greek a bit easier.

But it's not particularly difficult either way. It's not a different language at all.
>>
>>23618501
Holy larper
Based
>>
>>23618605
Historical linguist here. For pretty much every period of Greek, we have a very, very good idea how each phoneme in the language/dialect sounded like. I'd wager that even for, say, 6th c. BC Lesbian or 4th c. BC Corinthian, if we ended up with a time machine, we would probably prove ourselves right for 97-98% of the details.
>>
>>23618501
Greek did not sound like this.
Βαρβαρος εγγλεζοφωνος ακαδημαικος νομιζει οτι ξερει κάτι
ιου χαβ του γκοου μπακ
>>
>>23618501
based
>>
>>23618501
I have things are of actual importance to do.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.