[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm almost done reading pic related and wanted to share some thoughts on it.
The weird sex stuff (Imanishi and Honda being a voyeur) was really off putting at first but I think I understand it now. Imanishi is meant to be a lowly and perverse caricature of Japanese culture at the time, a bad lover. Honda being a voyeur is because he's growing old and wants to bask in youthful beauty; it's not about the sex itself, it's the beauty of it, which is the opposite of Imanishi. He (Honda) also says he gets no thrill out of his rich lifestyle and is looking for something more.

What I don't understand completely yet is the section in Thailand. The history on reincarnation was pretty interesting but the 'golden listlessness' hasn't clicked with me yet. My best guess is it's Honda's fully devoting himself to Kiyoaki's reincarnation and leaving his rationalism behind, unlike Runaway Horses where he was more on the fence. I don't understand the significance of the open air cremation in Benares either, though I'm sure it's got something to do with death and beauty.

All in all, it's been very different from the previous entries. Right from the start with his guide talking about the futility of beauty (or something similar) the idea of decay really sets in. I'm excited to see where it goes and how it all wraps up in Decay of the Angel.
>>
>>23620097
>Honda being a voyeur is because he's growing old and wants to bask in youthful beauty; it's not about the sex itself, it's the beauty of it, which is the opposite of Imanishi.
Voyeurism is a longstanding trope in Japanese literature and Honda lives his life through other people.
>>
>>23620119
Didn't know that about Japanese lit, I've only read Mishima. Very good point about Honda since it's in Temple he goes all in on the reincarnation stuff and living through others

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.