[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240724_022134.jpg (171 KB, 1069x1500)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Jane Austen is one of the few literary novelists who are actually interested in manliness—depicting it rather than just bemoaning its absence or problematizing it.
>>
I love it
The author who both revolutionized the novel, and transformed the Western paradigm of love.
>>
Was Jane Austen hot? Whether or not I read her work depends on the answer
>>
>>23621477
Men being men
>>
>>23621473
Based woman
>>
>>23621484
I'll only read her if she's ugly because attractive women are soulless and evil
>>
>>23621473
Woman here
Her brother was in the Navy and she loved him deeply. I love how the different sailors are portrayed in “Persuasion,” and imho its conclusion is really where she was psychologically at the end of her life—thinking of a life at sea with a good self-made man.
>>
>Why are women such good writer
The George Knightley way with women:
>be kind to overlooked, marginal women, especially those like Miss Bates and Harriet Smith who have no one else looking out for them
>refrain from fawning like a pathetic simp over the haughty and beautiful ones like Emma Woodhouse; cut her down to size when necessary
>get the haughty and beautiful one to fall in love with you in the process
>>
>>23621496
Manliness is underrated.
>>23621494
Why?
>>23621496
I highly recommend the 1995 film adaptation, with Ciarán Hinds as Capt. Wentworth
>>
I don't know if it's that good and these women in the thread make me doubt it even more.
I hope a patriarch who likes books can help me and have a solid opinion

or maybe I will read this? I don't know.
>>23621494
Ironically true LOL
>>
pride and prejudice is GOOD, albeit a bit slow in the first 100 pages. but i mean, the chapters are really short so its not such a big deal.
>>
>>23621473
They tend to read more, stands to reason they'd be well equipped for it.
>>
>>23622103
Incel
>>
>>23622143
the men lost again
but it makes sense.
I read the book, my rating is 7/10.
>>
>>23621511
Jane Austen might be the only female writer of (non-mystery) fiction novels that I'd say anything positive about. And for the reasons that both >>23621496 and OP pointed out: She wasn't a cunt. She also had impressive prose skills.
>>
Young boys should read Stendhal and Whitman before those british countryside summer novels. Masculinity lived - which implies movement -, not psychologized.
>>
>>23622712
Ok woman
>>
>>23622742
I do not understand your point
>>23622712
I don't know. Looks the same post wall women books
>>
Since there are a lot of women in this thread, I just want you to know that I hate you intensely and I would be honored to reincarnate as your bicycle seat.
>>
nothing is more exciting to read than a young woman choosing between a man she actually loves but is of no status and one after whom she lusts due to his status and wealth. nothing gets my ovaries going more than this.
>>
>>23623101
There are many women in the thread and I don't know how legitimate the arguments are.
someone partial who is not a woman???
>>
>>23623101
>>23623110
I thought the same thing.
The women in the thread who like to read, love this woman and her romance and what true masculinity is like, but I'm not going to read it sincerely. I just have to believe that
>>
>>23623102
Bad English wft? What do you mean?
Try again
>>23623119
>>23623110
>>23623101
>>23623100
The SAME guy
>>
>>23623132
>Bad English wft?
so this one bitch right she be choosin between one broke nigga she be lovin tho no cap on my momma and anotha nigga who keep her bills paid and nails painted nah mean but she don luh the nigga tho fr fr
>>
>>23623146
Why do you women have to use such strange writing? Anyway, this story seems to me to be another regret that the author had and conveyed in her novel.
many of these cases
>>
>>23621473
People are discussing the regular lady literati of England while completely ignoring the best of them; George Eliot.
>>
>>23621473
I guess you would like it to be described for you since you don't embody it
>>
>>23623375
?
>>23623170
Jane are better
>>
>>23623096
Not female. I specifically responded to that post because they wanted to know a man's opinion on Austen.

>>23623100
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: IMG_0034.png (39 KB, 200x200)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>23621496
Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl.
>mfw thinking of you hurting
>>
>>23623102
That's not the plot of Emma
>>
Jane Austen is only good if you're a woman or a fag/tranny
Pride and Prejudice sucked
Rolled my eyes the entire novel
The worst part was when she literally writes the title of the book into the dialogue near the end like "Oh how our pride and prejudices have prevented us from our true feelings" (paraphrasing obviously) referring to Darcy and Elizabeth I couldn't believe it
Nothing like your sister's fiance's friend coming over to your house and acting like a complete douchebag to you and your family, oh wait, turns out he is rich, also turns out he was being a jackass because he just loves you so much Elizabeth, welI, I guess that's okay then!
I gave her another chance and read Persuasion and it was even worse
The whole thing read like a self-insert fan fiction for women
At some point a chick falls off a set of stairs (!!!) for no other reason other then as a plot device for the main character to get with the guy
Always the main girl is some under appreciated mousier girl living in the shadow of a much more beautiful older sister who is engaged or about to marry and then she meets Prince Charming who of course falls madly in love with her for no reason
The one thing that is good I will say is she expresses what is not said very well albeit in a feminine way
Bronte sisters >>>>>>>>
this is an objectively correct opinion and if you disagree you're a woman or a fag/tranny
>>
>>23624859
Let me clarify some of this
The writing itself is fine and actually pretty good
It's the fact that it's so obviously written by a woman and for women
I'm guessing this must be how the uber feminists feel about Hemingway, but reversed
>>
>>23624871
It's like reading Oscar Wilde and knowing immediately that the author of this book is a flaming homosexual, it's just way too obvious from the writing
>>
I'm proud to say that i have NEVER read a book written by a woman and never will.
>>
>>23621473
True, OP. You're based for noticing. However, Austen's skill definitely, DEFINITELY DOES NOT extend to all women. Most female writers are awful.
>>
>>23624911
Sources? I m the OP, but hes right
>>
>>23624859
Lol stop contradicting yourself, you retard
>>
>>23621473
I wish broads put up their hair like that more often
>>
>>23624859
>Nothing like your sister's fiance's friend coming over to your house and acting like a complete douchebag to you and your family, oh wait, turns out he is rich, also turns out he was being a jackass because he just loves you so much Elizabeth, welI, I guess that's okay then!
But that's exactly what you should do if you're rich and want to marry your friends sister-in-law.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.