[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.jpg (67 KB, 465x572)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Books like the first season of True Detective in tone, story, themes etc.?
>>
>>23622397
Southern Gothic.
>>
>>23622397
Thomas Ligotti short stories, since he was a (secondary) inspiration for the show. Also the handful of horror stories that Robert W. Chambers wrote, since that's where The King in Yellow comes from.
>>
The Gone World is a common recommendation for True Detective-likes, and while I enjoyed it I didn't think it was that similar
>>
File: der juden.png (372 KB, 536x443)
372 KB
372 KB PNG
>>23622467
>The King in Yellow
Reading the first story now.
Picrel comes up, am I in for a based author or is he weak by 4ch standards?
>>
File: 1721850356348.jpg (374 KB, 2016x778)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
>>
>>23622397
Trouble is My Business
>>
>>23622397
Most obvious contender is 2666
>>
rust feels too much like an embarrassingly edgy teenager that they try to pass off as deep
>>
>>23623805
i have long since genuinely believed that edgy teens are deep.
>>
>>23623950
Same desu
Teenagers can’t comprehend death at all, as such they’re probably more able to accurately consider things like ontology without the looming fear of death that slowly grips you as an adult.
I definitely felt sharper, closer to the truth, as a teen. Now, I feel less inclined to think about things like that.
>>
James Lee Burke writes detective novels set in the region. Some have a bit of supernatural flavoring. Mostly some voodoo tie in but it’s often got a Scooby Doo explanation but there’s always one little unexplained bit that the detective can’t explain but big bad is either dead or in jail so fuck it they don’t pay him enough to fuck around with that spooky stuff
>>
>>23622822
I read the king in yellow, it's a collection of stories that progressively get worse and worse, when you get to the one in France where there's a war going on near the town, just do yourself a favour and stop reading then an there or at the next one, they continue to get worse after that point. i.e. the first half is good, the second is passible, barely worth reading. If you're a big fan of the show/horror literature go ahead and read them I won't stop you, the quotes that precede the chapters are amazing but alas I cannot say the same about the stories that follow.
FYI Lovecraft said that Chambers was one of the best horror writers (so you might want to read this book either way if you like HPL).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.