[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: george-berkeley.jpg (47 KB, 796x532)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
How come Berkeley's immaterialism never caught on? Did he just piss off too many people?
>>
>>23622512
Cause the ((Royal Society)) wanted to endorse Secularist view of philosophy and British Empiricism fit there criteria

Berkeley is based as fuck tho
>>
Never heard of idealism? It was pretty popular for a while there. It even inspired a political revolution called Fascism.
>>
>>23623593
Kinda black pilling when you realize that philosophies got pushed or suppressed on the basis of whether they would be more effective for controlling people
>>
>>23623593
That doesn't make sense since Berkeley was part of the British empiricist tradition. He uses empiricism to argue for idealism.
>>
Because it's stupid?

Take a drug, feel it's effects. Best explanation is that the body is material.
>>
>>23622512
Idealism filters both materialists and realists.
>>
>>23623640
It's not simply idealism though. His immaterialism, complete denial of matter, is something you don't really see anywhere else. Or at least I have yet to see anything like it.
>>
His nominalism stuck, and his reduction of all experience to internal data did shape the Kantian and Positivist philosophies, but his arguments for idealism were both uninsightful and wrong.
>>
>>23623649
It doesn't even come close to touching Berkeley's main point though, that all of these things are just experiences that take place in your mind. The mind doing what it is supposed to do, namely experiencing, is not a refutation.
>>
>>23623664
>his reduction of all experience to internal data did shape the Kantian philsophy
Kant didn't explicitely align himself with Berkeley's idealism. Surprisingly, he even denies it. "Esse est percipi" (to be is to be perceived) is perfectly compatible with Kant's transcendental aesthetic.
>>
>>23623691
I guess if the noumena are in fact just meaningless and therefore nothing until they are filtered through our understanding, then maybe.
>>
>>23623710
>then maybe.
Meaningless.
>>
>>23623670
based crypto-buddhist.
>>
>>23622512
I wrote an essay on him
>>
>>23622512
REMINDER: Berkeley proved the existence of God
>Inb4 muh Doctor Johnson
As much as he was based, he was wrong about this
>Inb4 muh Argentinian short story
Criticism of totalitarisms, not Berkeley 's proof of God
>>
>>23623932
?
If you said Hindu then I would have been less surprised.
>Argentinian short story
didn't the whole project become corrupted by the whole "no pact with that impostor, Jesus Christ" guy?
>>
>>23623963
fucked up the post. meant to reply also to>>23623741

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.