[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is there an Italian novelist from that time period who could have created this way of feeling? I've never seen anyone so ahead of his time.
>>
The bourgeoisie deeply hates the army, the bourgeois were never military men to begin with (which is why they lose all their wars since their revolutions), and their whole goal is to undermine everything military.
This is also why they treat the army men like shit in their democracy.
>>
>>23622598
Isn't that feeling mostly derived from Kafka? "Before the Law," "The Castle," it's already there.
>>
>>23622598
Its crazy to me that Buzzatis legacy in the anglosphere is a weak, by his standards, novel and the meme comic about a foids period.
>>
>>23622598
I came up with a rough idea for a novel this morning and I realise it's 1:1 with this book. Fuck
>>
>>23622598
Pitigrilli obviously
>>
>>23622598
>this way of feeling
The poor little sõy boy left behind his peers in a dead-end fortino while big boys make career. Specks of life as flame shadows on the wall of the cave from children perspective. Never conquered life, never initiated in manhood(as per Evola). Gets old. Dies.
Which novellas capture the feel? Stoner? Less than 0. I don't know and I don't care tbqh.
>>
I want to read this and saw the newest translations changed the name to The Stronghold. Is it the same book or some weird, gay interpretation like Emily Wilson's take on The Odyssey?
>>
>>23622961
The new translation is part of a concerted effort to scam Stuart C. Hoods estate from royalties of his fantastic translations. They did the same with his translations of Junger.
>>
>>23622598
Why did they translate as the tartar "steppe" instead of the tartar "desert"? Desert is not only a more accurate translation but it also fits the book much better.
>>
>>23622991
Because tartars are steppeniggers and there arent any deserts near Shitaly.
>>
>>23623026
But the book is literally called "Il deserto dei Tartari" in italian
>>
>>23622991
Trannyslators are narcissists
>>
>>23622979
>Hood translation
BAAAAAAAAAAAAASED
>>
>>23623206
Bruh...Reality is brainrotted.
>>
>>23623234
It's great. He visits Morocco and other places, has a lot of sex with men and boys, gets raped (and doesn't seem to care much), muses about his society and foreign society, and gives extremely poignant advice on what writing is, and how to write etc. Not much different from Flaubert in his own letters.
>>
>>23623250
You should be in advertising because Im fucking sold.
>>
Yeah..go on..discuss anything but the actual book. Time worth spending. Hours are dragging slow, years are flying by, as usual.
>>
>>23623453
Your mother is a whore.
>>
>>23622598
Peak book in my opinion made me feel something which I haven't felt in a long time.
>>
>>23622780
Tartar Steppe is far better
>>
Eternal reminder that Gracq's The Opposing Shore is basically the same novel except vastly superior
>>
>>23622598
wdym, it's a book about how getting a job and entering adulthood feels like you're trapped forever, it's not a recent revelation
>>
>>23622780
>>23624212
He's tapping into the Aryan blood memory.

Kafka is overrated hot garbage.
>>
>>23624329
I've read both and they're really not. If anything the endings are diametrically opposite.
>>
Intentionally boring literature. It serves his purposes and themes, but it wasn't memorable, at least for me.
Good book, however.
Also, I don't know why you say it was ahead of his time, OP. Like others said, Kafka already had done alienation with slight touches of magical realism.
>>
>>23624645
Endings are like 1% of a novel.
>>
File: 1721905599849.jpg (1.3 MB, 1600x864)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>23622780
i don't see any of kafka's work as dealing with the passage of time. maybe the castle touches on it but not like the tartar steppe. it does have kafka's signature adherence to rules being carried to the point of being ridiculous but kafka never hits the deep melancholy that comes from actually choosing to live an entire life in this way out of a genuine belief. what's missing from kafka is the humanizing of the bureaucrats.
>>
File: 1721905712260.jpg (103 KB, 640x977)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>23622814
>meme comic about a foids period
THAT'S what you see in this?
>>
>>23625421
in terms of space, yeah. how much of a difference would it make if moby dick were caught or if naburo and the gang just wanted to invite ryuji for tea?
>>
>>23625540
Yes this book is more realistic. Kafka always tries to convey an insignificant person that gets fucked over by forces beyond himself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.