[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Discipline.jpg (33 KB, 702x437)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Not the self-help bullshit. But from real philosophers and monks who understand what they're talking about?
>>
you literally just do the thing you said you'd do
>but i need a book to--
a book won't help. you just do the thing
>>
>>23623425
You need ideas, instropection and thoughts of others to better understand it yourself. It's like saying discover all of math on your own. You can do it but its precisely because of other people's works that we can build upon on, that it makes it easier.
>>
this is such a retarded dichotomy, if you are disciplined enough to do, then you are motivated to do it, doing it consistently then becomes a matter of a good habit until something happens and you lose your motivation, why does such a 'smart' board always fall for these retarded self help grifters?
>>
File: IMG_6237.jpg (81 KB, 750x1000)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>23623500
someone ain’t got their grindset on
>>
>>23623491
no, retard, it's not math. there's nothing to understand. you just do the thing.
>uuhh no i gotta ask a monk and gather knowledge
no, you just do the thing. knowledge is cope. don't be retarded.
>>
>>23623556
this, there is no deeper understanding or hidden secret. Cliché but there are no shortcuts. It is literally that simple.

Any techniques or methods are just different ways to do the same thing which is: doing the thing.
>>
File: sdfg (2).png (696 KB, 685x909)
696 KB
696 KB PNG
>>23623410
>>
>>23623410
The spiritual combat by Lorenzo Scupoli
>>
You have to conquer yourself. It takes force to conquer others, but it takes true strength to conquer yourself as Laozi said.

To conquer your temptations and weaknesses, to exert full control over yourself. That is what discipline is, and many learn it the hard way.

There is a battle of wills inside you. Diligence and slothfulness, patience and impatience, temptation and resolution.

If you can win that inner battle, then you can make yourself do anything that you are capable of.

Even to push yourself to become capable of what you weren't before.
>>
File: Educator.png (304 KB, 431x571)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
>>23623788

It is good to set goals in life, something to work towards or look forward to.

Some goals are shared in common, some are born out of vital necessity and call towards you.

Some goals are so monumental that they require you to transform into the person who can achieve them.

To become what is required to accomplish what you must, there is beauty in the struggle.

The highest work you can achieve is to serve the Lord, this takes many forms.
>>
File: Night_Raid.png (575 KB, 616x410)
575 KB
575 KB PNG
>>23623825

>The highest work you can achieve is to serve the Lord, this takes many forms.

Gideon served the Lord by leading an armed insurrection against heathen oppressors.

That is also how my nation was born, a righteous revolutionary struggle for the people oppressed.

The Bible says there is a time to kill and a time for war, but also a time to heal and a time for peace.
>>
find something you give a shit about and work towards that
>>
>>23623556
>>23623673
Every philosophical thought is build on an existing one. Even geniuses would struggle without their predecessor's help.
>>
>>23623846
>find something you give a shit about
What if I don't have anything like that.
>>
>>23623410
Nothing wrong with using self-help books and youtubers. They want to help you be better anon.
>>
>>23624039
Ntsa but holy heavens either do the things or keep phoneposting and sleeping your days away
It's one of those two options, and in the end, you must've done the things.
>>
>>23624035
discipline has nothing to do with thoughts. that you want to philosophize about your inability to do things instead of doing them is why you're fucked
>>
>>23624039
you can just enjoy getting pushed around by the waves of life then
not saying it's entirely a bad way to live btw
some people are capable of not taking the wheel and not feeling regret when bad things happen to them after
>>
>>23623825
What goals
>>
>>23624042
they objectively do not. the moment your problem is fixed they lose a customer. youtubers in particular are parasites
>>
>>23624078
>you want to philosophize about your inability to do things instead of doing them is why you're fucked
You are telling me no one who was successful in history did that? I am sure there are wise men who taught or wrote books about it.
>>
>>23624097
plenty of wise men wrote books about how human limbs work but you don't read them if you want to move your leg. you just move your leg. no, i'm not aware of any successful people in history that refused to move their legs before reading about it.
>>
>>23623491
Nah you look for some authority from the past with gravitas that will tell you to be disciplined.
>>
File: Just_do_itGIF.gif (1.7 MB, 268x200)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB GIF
>>23623410
So einfach ist es
>>
>>23624203
>some authority from the past with gravitas that will tell you to be disciplined.
Who?
>>
>>23624281
The author of the book that will tell you to be disciplined
>>
>>23623410
The Bible, especially the Proverbs of Solomon and the epistles
>All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work. (2Ti 3:16, 17)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.