[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000011987.jpg (17 KB, 360x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
What is your favourite Latin American author?
>>
File: Louisiana.png (232 KB, 550x601)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
>>23623512
Anne Rice
>>
>>23623512
Cortazar
>>
>>23623512
Quiroga or Monterroso. But they are whos and not whats.
>>
>>23623512
I enjoyed “The President” by Miguel Ángel Asturias. Need to check out other Latin America authors. Preferably Guatemalan authors since that’s the fatherland.
>>
>>23623512
/lit/ introduced me to Ribeyro and I was very happy with this find
this is btw an invitation to fellow lit-ters to recommand me more short stories
>>
>>23623546
I would personally recommend you Tales of Love of Madness and of Death (Cuentos de Amor de Locura y de Muerte) by Uruguayan Horacio Quiroga
>>
>>23623512
Spicador El Borderino
>>
>>23623530
I never read Guatemalan authors, who are the most prominents of the most famous book?
>>
>>23623512
García Marquez is the best desu but Cervantes is a close second place.
>>
>>23623554
>Tales of Love of Madness and of Death
Sounds steamy! The pervert in me is both pleased and excited by this suggestion kek <3
>>
>>23623574
Not really sadly, is more dramatic and tragic, some themes are death suffering obsession etc
>>
>>23623589
His Jungle stories are better and they dont involve cuck shit
>>
File: 45674567.png (397 KB, 347x524)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
Ernesto Che Guevara, though I don't care for his godless communism. Márquez and Asturias are worth mentioning as well.
>>
>>23623596
true, but it isn't as known
>>
>>23623589
>sadly
you too were disappointed on this front? kek
any way, no worries anon, i might be a bit of a perve, but i also enjoy reading about serious things/even if no pervy things take place in the story
>>
Idk. I can’t get into Latin American lit. Bolaño is the only one I’ve read that actually thought was even aesthetically interesting.
>>
>>23623601
He is a good writer? I have never checked his work mostly because of how the modern left views him. I find stupid how some LGBT have him as an idol while he put gays in concentration camps. Here in Argentina is so politicized, like a role model, I will check his works
>>
>>23623610
Maeby you will like Shunga by Martín Kawamichi, is really depraved, also him being from Japanese Ancestry, it has an Japanese flavour, never read it but I have heard it's good
>>
I'm basic, so Borges.
Jorge Amado and Mario Vargas Llosa are also up there.
My Latina gf loves Cortazar, but I didn't get quite into what I've read, maybe I'd appreciate him if I knew Spanish
>>
>>23623647
I love Borges, and I understand the thing with Cortázar, it is always better to read in the original language, I you know french of Italian is almost as good as in Spanish
>>
>>23623512
Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
Can't go wrong by reading this
>>
>>23623643
What is this weird feeling? Someone cared about what I want and tried to provide it? Now I might become greedy and require that of others in my life

Seriously though, thank you kind stranger!
>>
>>23623669
Truly, it's probably the best Latin American novel and a perfect example of Latinamerican Magic realism
>>
File: 1000011991.jpg (33 KB, 746x512)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>23623705
it's nothing anon
>>
I've been meaning to get into Miguel Angel Asturias. "Magic realism" is a very loose term and genre but I'd say he's the ground zero for it in Latin America.
Then I'd read some Borges.
Dictator novels are whole thing but I wouldn't know where to start with those
>>
File: el espejo de lida sal.png (246 KB, 341x599)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>23623536
>>23623563
Asturias is big name, I think Legends of Guatemala and Mr President are both good places to start
I think only the first Men of Maize book is in English, Mulata is a bit harder to get into even if you know Spanish but one of his best. His other books I think really need some notes about myths and Guatemalan life to really understand, it leaves me in the dark
>>
>>23624047
uh, thank you I will check them out, they sound interesting, to be honest I didn't knew Asturias, Central American authors that I know are just Mexicans like Juan Rulfo
>>
File: alchemist book.jpg (29 KB, 331x499)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>ruins your continent

nothing personal, kid
>>
Mario Vargas Llosa
>>
File: 1718276025071702.jpg (466 KB, 2000x1329)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>23623512
Neruda.
>>
>>23624122
I am familiar with the works of Pablo Neruda
>>
>>23624122
is Neruda good? Like, he is Chilean and I don't know anyone here in Argentina that liked him
>>
Does Borges count as Latin American?
Or is he considered white because he was from Argentina?
>>
>>23624191
I don't think even Borges would deny he's Latin American, and if he did I would go back in time and call him gay. I know he liked angloid writers like Lovecraft, but he's still Latin American
>>
>>23623512
José Saramago
>>
File: 1.bp.blogspot.png (1.73 MB, 800x1218)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB PNG
>>23623512
I like Rafael Pinedo
>>
>>23624191
He's Latin American, as an Argentinian I can say that we are the most European country (Uruguay is culturally and extension of Argentina) in Latin American, I would say we are a mix of Latin Americans and Europeans, but Borges is a little more complicated, he grew up mostly in Europe, from age 9 to 16 he was in Switzerland, and he was inculcated with the European trends, for example his first published writing, Fervour of Buenos Aires, had an Ultraist style, however he said That he felled European, as European is the past of Argentina, basically he's an really European Argentinian
>>
The usual suspects
Borges
Bolano
Garcia Marquez
Vargas Llosa

I did enjoy Pedro Paramo but that’s all I’ve read from Rulfo
Also enjoyed The Kingdom of this World by Alejo Carpentier. I have Explosion in a Cathedral on my shelf somewhere and I do want to read more by him.
>>
>>23624199
That's true he liked European writers and Anglos mostly because he grew up talking English with his Grandma, so he was naturally drew towards English literature, also in his late life he became a japanophile, wrote haiku's and things like that
>>
Cortázar, Borges, Quiroga, García Márquez and Benedetti are my top 5

>>23623574
I think it would've hilarious if you had read something like La Gallina Degollada o El Almohadon de Plumas (sorry for the spanish titles) expecting erotic lit. Hope you enjoy the book.
>>
>>23623512

>[WHO] is your favourite [IBEROAMERICAN] author?
>>
>>23624593
Has el mundo un gran favor y matate puto.
>>
>>23624214
How old are you anon? Im from argentina too and you sound like an interesting person
>>
>no Juan Rulfo

Plebs

Borges is an acceptable answer, though

And for people saying Cervantes: he's SPANISH you morons
>>
>>23624626

>[HAZ] [A] el mundo un gran favor[,] y [MÁTATE][,] puto.
>>
>>23623512
For their sheer consistency, either Borges or García Márquez
Rulfo is also up there. More people should read The Burning Plain
>>
>>23623512
Borges, Márquez, Cortázar, Bolaño
>>
>>23623512
Me
>>
>>23624710
>Prescriptivismo lingüístico
Hay que hipster puñal eres. Mamad me la verga fresita.
>>
>>23624769

«PRESCRIPTIVISMO LINGÜÍSTICO»? SE LLAMA «CORRECTA ORTOGRAFÍA».
>>
>>23624656
tengo dieciocho solo que onions un habido lector y me interesa la literatura y la historia propia de la literatura tambien
>>
>>23624340
I mean, surely there IS some freak that would find El Almohadón de plumas hot
>>
>>23624593
Iberoamericano? Las bolas, en mí pregunta incluyo a Haití gil, acaso no son parte de Latinoamérica? y las Antillas holandesas? Jamaica?
>>
>>23624738
Show me proof that you are the best Latin American writer
>>
>>23624856

SI ES ASÍ, POR QUÉ NO INCLUYES A CANADÁ?

VE A ESCRIBIR SOFISMAS A TU BLOG.
>>
>>23624881
Porque lo que uno considera Latinoamérica no es solo por el idioma tarado, también están los contextos sociales de colonización y criollosmos, la diferencia entre Québec y Haití es que Haití fue un país donde se mezclaron tanto esclavos con indios y europeos, misma situación que muchas otras partes de latam, en cambio Québec fue una colonia de settlements franceses, más al estilo ingles de colonización, donde no se mezclaban con los nativos sino que los mataban a todos. Si bien capaz Latam no es el mejor nombre, Iberoamerica es peor tarado
>>
File: OK.gif (918 KB, 250x250)
918 KB
918 KB GIF
>>23624895

UAU, QUÉ BIEN.
>>
File: 20230529_124823.jpg (58 KB, 1080x462)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>23624191
"latin american" is not a race, but a culture. There are black, mixed, native, and white people all over latin america and they all are latinos.

>>23624849
>>23624656
/lit/ meetup on the Planetario when?
>>
>>23625240
Dunno, meeting from 4chan seems quite crazy/dangerous JAJAJAJAJ
>>
>>23624340
>benedetti
Lmaoooo how can someone find his trash good is beyond me, I read plenty of his short stories and the prose is crap, the story itself is boring and dull and goes nowhere most of the time and is just mind numbingly mediocre in all possible aspects he was propped by politics only otherwise none would give a fuck, same with Neruda, ode to the onion. Lmao what a fucking joke
>>
File: gabriela .jpg (49 KB, 640x368)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>23623512
Jorge Amado
>>
>>23624202
He's great, but he's Portuguese
>>
>>23625681
His novels are great, The Truce is imo the best uruguayan novel although The Shipyard comes very close, and his short stories are either a very fun read or actually amazing, but I understand why people dislike him, as so much of his work after the 60s is just "dictatorship is... le bad". As for the comparison with Neruda I guess you are referring to his poems, which I agree are mostly bad.
>>
>>23624682
>And for people saying Cervantes: he's SPANISH you morons
And people in Latin-America speak SPANISH, the latin-american language doesn't exist. And when Cervantes wrote Don Quixote, Latin-America and Spain was a single country united under the Spanish Empire. So mentioning him is completely valid if not only valid answer.

All the losers who mentioned anglojew cocksuckers like Borges and commie LARPers like Garcia Marques and the libertarian pseud of Vargas Llosa should hang themselves.
>>
>>23626191
first paragraph: based.
second: snarky bullshit intended for (You)s, Do better, amigo.
>>
>>23626191
You are really retarded what makes Latin American literature Latin America is the colonization economic and social struggle Cervantes speak spanish but he didn't have the Latinamerican context
>>
>>23623512
Favorite decadent: Vizconde de Lascano Tegui
Favorite romantic: Domingo Faustino Sarmiento
Favorite short story writer: Horacio Quiroga
Favorite playwright: Roberto Cossa
Favorite novelist: Enrique Medina.
>>
>>23624191
Race ≠ ethnicity
>>
>>23623615
too real for you

>>23623647
cortazar is a spiritually anglo hack
>>
>>23624217
>I did enjoy Pedro Paramo but that’s all I’ve read from Rulfo
aside from a short story collection that's basically all he ever wrote. man just wrote one book and then disappeared
>>
>>23624902
>UAU
shut the fuck up stupid gay snooty autistic spic
>>
>>23623627
Fidel put fags in camps, Che was in the Congo playing revolutionary by then. By the way, Castro apologized for it later in some interview with a Western paper.
>>
>>23625709
basão
>>
Roberto Bolano 2666
Julio Cortazar Hopscotch
Carlos Fuentes Terra Nostra
Mario Vargas Llosa Conversation in the Cathedral
Gabriel Garcia Marquez 100 Years of Solitude
>>
File: IMG_3555.jpg (65 KB, 304x475)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
So following the discussion regarding Borges and his Anglophile roots, what about Lautreamont? Latin American culturally? Or a French writer?
>>
>>23627504
definitely french, I find it interesting as he is a "reversed" Cortázar, Lautreamont was born in Montevideo, but from a French family that was there as the French consul, not as Immigrants, that being the difference with Borges, who was the 2rd generation of his family born in Argentina.
Besides that, Lautreamont moved to France to study at 13 years old and he stayed there until he died. Is the same with Cortázar, bornes in Belgium as the son of the Argentine embasator, but he then moved to Argentina and stayed there until the "Decada infame" where he was politically prosecuted.
>>
>>23627504
another similar example would be Kipling, borned in India, but he was culturally English
>>
I see a lot of names but tell me WHY I should read them NOW NOW NOW
>>
>>23624593
A callar, imbécil.
>>
>>23624856
>Las bolas, en mí pregunta incluyo a Haití gil
No, no lo son retrasado mental.
>>
>>23626241
>is the colonization economic and social struggle
Those make for good propaganda pieces to read to effeminate faggots on college, not good literature.
>>
There's no way anything good was written down there, right?
It's gotta be all "Oh ooohhh ohhhh-h the war... that the Americans... uuuuhhhhhhhhhh...h...h"
>>
>>23627563
Or Obama being born in Kenya
>>
>>23623512
Lautréamont
Laforgue
Caraco
Caillois
Gombrowicz
>>
>>23625598
Salió juntada en El Ateneo, no hay de otra
>>
García Ponce
>>
>>23628715
Borges has an interesting way of writing by taking concepts and writing thinking about them, an example is his tale The Library of Babel, an infinite library where he tackles well, the infinite
>>
>>23628740
dude, I didn't say they make good literature, for me the best literature is Argentinian and the colonization and it's consequences here are almost none (in a demographical sense) but my point is that Latinoamérica exists, and is the region that was colonized in a certain way, with certain goals, it's Latin America because it follows a certain pattern. An example would be, is Turkey an European country? Despite controlling a part of Thracia, culturally they are a Muslim country, or then we have Georgia and Armenia, countries outside of Europe, because they are south of the Caucasus, but culturally Christian European countrys
>>
>>23629013
ya fue no hay otra, juntada de /lit/ arg
>>
>>23623512
Don Colacho. The Nietzsche of the Andes.
>>
>>23628888

I'm having difficulty piecing together your sentence fragment. It sounds like you want to say something provocative but don't have the balls or the literary capacity for a complete sentence. Is that accurate?
>>
File: 1707864088807931.jpg (23 KB, 550x673)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
huh, dindn´t know that many Argentinians lurk /lit/..

>t. fellow argie
>>
>>23629302
Only Colombians read that, sorry.
>>
File: 1000012198.png (174 KB, 260x364)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>23629873
así it should be, the more the merrier
>>
>>23629873
I hate argies like you wouldn't believe it.
>t. argie
>>
>>23629928

why so?
>>
>>23623536
All good Guatemalans are Mexicans, save Asturias, who’s French.
>>
>>23623512
Yuri Levi

https://www.yurilevy.com/livros-1
>>
>>23626566
photography > writing
t. Rulfo

One day I woke up and felt bad for non-Spanish speakers, since they'd never get to read Rubén Darío in Spanish
>>
>>23623512
Anyone read Paradiso by Lima? I’ve been interested in that for a bit. Honestly I’ll take any Spanish language recs. It’s by far the language in literature I’ve ignored the most and I’ve probably only read a dozen writers who wrote in Spanish
>>
>>23631429
I have not, however I can give you some recs, what type of literature you want? Short stories, novels?
>>
>>23631437
I’ll take anything that’s been translated into English. I prefer literary writing as opposed to genre. My favorite Spanish language books are Life is a Dream, John of the Cross poetry, Bolano (with no shame I admit it), Marquez (been years since I’ve read him), Cortazar (I should reread. I was young in my reading career and over my head), The Revolt of the Masses, Unamuno (only read The Tragic Sense of Life, especially like the DQ stuff),Gracian (he wrote in Spanish, right?), and that towering Spaniard of the early 17th century. I’ll take any type of list though. It’s a major blind spot for me
>>
>>23631483
For me it's Alejo Carpentier
The Kingdom of this World is a good starting point imo
>>
>>23631483
that's not bad really, I would recommend you to check out Horacio Quiroga, Ernesto Sabato, Facundo by Sarmiento, The Martin Fierro and the Comeback of Martin Fierro, Roberto Arlt, Isabel Allende, Carlos Fuentes, García Lorca
I mostly recommended you Latinamerican and Argentine authors because well I'm from there
>>
>>23631429
Paradiso is excellent in a baroque way. Get ready for some gay sex, it's absolutely poetic. if you want some other heavy shit, read Jose Donoso. Obscene Bird of Night is like if Silent Hill were a brick someone threw at your head. A Place without Limits is a childhood friend visiting you at work as a tranny with his happa husband in tow. Donoso writes like an anon about anon things.
Good times, I guess. Not like I know anything else.
>>
>>23631567
>The Martin Fierro and the Comeback of Martin Fierro
There's English translations for this?
I can't imagine how much is lost in translation
>>
>>23631583
not really actually, the most distinctive of the gauchesca is that is written as if a gaucho was telling it in a payada, so there aren't a lot of eufemisms, the most lost is the characteristical gaucho slang
>>
>>23631496
Thanks. He’s sounds really interesting style wise
>>23631567
Thank you. Fuentes was someone I really wanted to read at one point. Terra Nostra sounded interesting but it doesn’t seem widely available in English unfortunately
>>23631574
That Donoso book used to be one of my white whale books. I could never find a new copy for a reasonable price and I was so excited when New Directions (bless their souls) announced that they were releasing it. Unfortunately that style of book isn’t what I’m looking for at the moment so I’m holding off. I’ll definitely be getting to it at some point though

Machado de Assis is another writer I forgot about that I’d like to read
>>
>>23631583
sorry I forgot to address the first part, there are translations, mostly because The Martin Fierro the most Important "classical" Argentinian piece of literature, is not only important to reflect the first period of Argentine history, is the most important work of gauchesca literature, being the gaucho the popular figure from where we say that the argentinian culture originates from

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.