[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: yyh_01.0.jpg (226 KB, 1200x800)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
I am not really into the whole romantic individualist from Western literature. What are some books with a group as the protagonist? I have heard that Brandon Sanderson has that in his books.
>>
Water Margin
>>
>>23624408
I should clarify that I want modern books. I have already read the Chinese classics.
>>
>>23624410
my diary desu(it's about me and my schizonas)
>>
>>23624437
I am also interested in the idea of a group without an obvious main character. Son Wukong is obviously the main character and a lot of anime is built on the dynamic but the show Teen Titans does not have an obvious main character. Robin is a leader but that is it. I'm basically interested in these two types of storytelling.
>>
>>23624465
This is going to sound retarded and off-topic but have you read the original 80's New Teen Titans. It's what most of the show was based on and has an arc on Starfire that the show never did
And to pretend I'm actually an intellectual who would never touch picture books, Xenophon's Anabasis
>>
>>23624517
Now I have not. I have only watched the show. Also

>Xenophon's Anabasis
>>23624410
>I want modern books
I will check Anabasis out tho
>>
Brady Bunch
>>
>>23624405
The Counterfeiters, maybe? Doesn't really have a single protagonist and is more about fake vs. real feelings and relationships between people.
>>
>>23624465
>Son Wukong is obviously the main character
Failed to read adequately for Tripitaka. Most lines doesn't mean main character.
>>
>>23625272
He is the whole reason the story exists. The people join his mission the way that other people join Monkey D. Luffy, in contradistinction with Robin who leads the party but is not the center of the journey.
>>
>>23624405
>the group
That's because that is something no one wants to cover with writing fiction.
The concept of a collective struggle is already covered by affairs surrounding between countries, as well as written in newspapers and history bibliography which was all around them. That's what makes individualist stories special
>>
>>23625553
Animated and live-action TV shows I think are proof enough that you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>23625553
nah
>>
>>23624405
ASOIAF is exactly what you want.
>>
>>23626195
Not really. I'm looking for a band of people. Look up on TV tropes the difference between cast herd and five-man band
>>
Are you Asian or something? The Western character is the loneliest character in all of literature, sure, but that’s party what makes Western literature so kino. I don’t even understand how someone could not appreciate it.

Anyway, you won’t find it in Western literature. It’s a feature of Western culture. You won’t find it anywhere except shitty fantasy written by ethnic non-Westerners. Even modern Japanese literature is largely concerned with alienation as a result of Westernization. The only classics I can even think of that are like this are Greek.
>>
File: Guards Guards.jpg (267 KB, 701x992)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>23624405
A lot of the Discworld books are like this.
>>
>>23626269
No, I'm white. It's more of an ideological bent. Just trying to build something separate from European literature.
>>
>>23624405
You're an insect, aren't you?
>>
>>23627449
>>23627430
>No, I'm white.
>>
>>23624405
Yeah both Mistborn and Stormlight Archive by Sanderson feature this.

Some other fantasy reccs from the top of my head that I can think of having this:
>The Lies of Locke Lamora (focused on a group of thieves and their heists)
>The Wheel of Time (group of villagers go out on epic adventure, has some splitting up into new groups, converging back etc)
>The First Law first trilogy (with some of the PoVs, especially in the second book), also the semi-standalone from same series Best Served Cold (MC gathers a group of people to go on a revenge quest to kill a bunch of people who have wronged her)
>Malazan (some of the PoVs)
>LotR of course
>>
>>23627230
Reddit: the book
>>
>>23629031
It is as I assumed. Modern. I wonder if there are any literary books which do this
>>
>>23629033
Why are you like this?
>>
>>23624405
Check out Embers Ad Infinitum

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.