[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1707827044702437s.jpg (9 KB, 250x250)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I mostly read works of philosophy in english, rather than my mother tongue (serbian), not because it's easier to find specific works in english (i couldn't find Theaetetus for example anywhere on the net), i also read them in english because it seems easier to me to comprehend than in serbian. Any bilingual anons notice some similar quirks when reading?
>>
>>23624707
>/lit/ - Monolingual Proud Board
>>
>>23624729
>>
Some languages are retarded, especially when it comes to something like philosophy. Imagine reading Hegel in Serbian? How many famous Serbian philosophers are there anyway? Some philosophers are so original that work/ideas transcends the limits of their language even if it is best read in their language. Kierkegaard is the only major philosopher to come out of Denmark as an example. Plus, there are only so many Serbian speakers and only so many people that can give a great, not just acceptable, translation of something.
>>
>>23624707
Gle bre, engleza ima više pa imaju više prijevoda, od kojih imaš veću šansu da su više kvalitete od srbskih + terminologiju koju koriste je lakše naći na internetu ako nešto ne shvatiš.

Uz sve ovo imaš problem da su većinu djela na srbsko-hrvatskom preveli lingvisti, a ne filozofi, pa se gubi značenje.

Ja jedino čitam na materinje ako čitam domaću filozofiju/literaturu.

Dakle preporučam ti da nastaviš čitat na engleskom.
>>
This is partly because English translations are more plentiful and more in step with "the times," so you get modernized retard translations in colloquial English, whereas your native Serbian translations are probably either the equivalent of Thomas Taylor's or Benjamin Jowett's English translations (which are harder to read for the average person), or they are some late 20th century hack academic. Eastern Euro countries suffer from a superabundance of hack academics who do just enough imitating of / connecting themselves to French, German, and to some extent American academia to make themselves look like "the local authority on whatever the fuck it is the real scholars are doing over in Germany, France, and America," even though they'd be second or third rate academics if they actually had to survive in German, French, or American academic ecosystems. Then they get to do all the local translations and scholarly trend-setting even though they are mediocrities.
>>
>>23625129
>How many famous Serbian philosophers are there anyway?
God is a Serb
>>
>>23624707
It's common for bilinguals to be more adept at their 2nd language since they have to make an active effort to maintain the 2nd language while taking their mother tongue for granted. You see it in cases where monolinguals sometimes seem less competent at their own language than bilinguals are when they only adopted it.
So as a fellow bilingual, yeah same. Complex concepts are easier for me in english since I actively improve it.
>>
>>23625775
Serbia is not eastern euro country... It's a balkan country. Its as retarded, as to say that Romania, country without cyrylic with very latin-adjacent language is eastern euro country
>>
>>23625858
This is the most eastern european post I've seen all year
>>
>>23624707
stop reading books and get married. engl*sh is the worst language anyone could possibly learn, should have stuck with German or Russian
>>
>>23625739
>srBskih
gotovo je...
>>
>>23624707
I do the same anon. I read all philosophy in English. I genuinely have a harder time reading in my mother tongue in general, often stopping myself, re-reading paragraphs and looking up words when doing so. I believe this is because my brain now associates English with careful reading and my mother tongue with simple language.
>>
>>23625129
>Imagine reading Hegel in Serbian
Imagine reading Hegel in English
>>
I'm also a Serb. I read in both languages. Depending on a translation, it can make a difference. Ancient texts are worst, their translations are sometimes unusable, especially with Aristotle's N.Ethics. Twentieth century philosophy has the best translations for Serbo-Croatian, excluding Heidegger's Sein und Zeit. That's about it.
>>
>>23625858
You're arguing with someone from a nation of people where a non-trivial amount believe Europe is a country.
>>
>>23626051
uvijek je bilo
>>
>>23626119
Mogu potvrditi, Nikomahova Etika je nečitljiva

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.