[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 667898b27330e.jpg (130 KB, 1080x897)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
As much as I shit on people saying
>OMG THIS SONG SAVED MY LIFE
reading Seneca might've genuinely saved my life. I won't say too much, but shit could've gone REAL bad with the things I was considering, but reading the (excellently translated), "Anger, Mercy, Revenge" as well as currently reading through his letters gave me so much inner peace and "wisdom", it's insane.
He genuinely did more for my mental health and outlook on life than the SSRIs and the doctors I visited before.
My question is, is there any way I could most effectively hammer his sayings down, like I can grasp them rationally, but my anxiety-riddled brain still gives me a PHYSICAL reaction I can seemingly do nothing against when some bad shit happens.
And what does Seneca mean when he talks about "God"?
>>
>>23625128
>reading translation
>>
>>23625128

>My question is, is there any way I could most effectively hammer his sayings down, like I can grasp them rationally, but my anxiety-riddled brain still gives me a PHYSICAL reaction I can seemingly do nothing against when some bad shit happens.

EMOTIONAL REACTIONS ARE NATURAL; TEMPERANCE CONSISTS NOT IN SUPPRESSING EMOTIONS, BUT IN SUBJUGATING THEM TO REASON: IT IS OK TO REACT EMOTIONALLY, BUT YOU SHOULD ACT RATIONALLY.

TEMPERANCE IS HONED WITH EXPERIENCE; THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.

ONE SHOULD GO THROUGH LIFE WITH A MODICVM OF ALOOFNESS, OTHERWISE, THE VICISSITUDES OF LIVING WILL KILL YOU.

>And what does Seneca mean when he talks about "God"?

THE UNCREATED CREATOR; THE UNMOVED MOVER; THE AGNOSTOS THEOS.
>>
>>23625155
Why are you screaming at me bro?
That being said
>TEMPERANCE
What do you mean by this? I know English pretty well, but there really isn't a german word for it.
>TEMPERANCE IS HONED WITH EXPERIENCE; THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.
So it's like when Seneca said, time will heal the wounds reason cannot?
>THE UNCREATED CREATOR; THE UNMOVED MOVER; THE AGNOSTOS THEOS.
So he does not really exist, it's more of a rule we put on ourselves, where we should act accordingly in fear of a higher power, but it's just a thought?
>>
>>23625175

>Why are you screaming at me bro? [SIC]

LETTERCASE DOES NOT SIGNIFY VOCAL MODULATION.

>That being said
>TEMPERANCE
>What do you mean by this? I know English pretty well, but there really isn't a german word for it. [SIC]

EQUANIMITY.

>TEMPERANCE IS HONED WITH EXPERIENCE; THERE IS NO OTHER WAY.
>So it's like when Seneca said, time will heal the wounds reason cannot? [SIC]

IF YOU ARE SANE, HAVE DISCERNMENT, AND ARE DISCIPLINED, YOU WILL GRADUALLY DEVELOP A CALLOUSNESS THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM CIRCUMSTANCE; WITH DISTANCE, ONE CAN UNDERSTAND; WITH UNDERSTANDING, REASON PREVAILS OVER EMOTION.

>THE UNCREATED CREATOR; THE UNMOVED MOVER; THE AGNOSTOS THEOS.
>So he does not really exist, it's more of a rule we put on ourselves, where we should act accordingly in fear of a higher power, but it's just a thought? [SIC]

HOW DO YOU DEDUCE FROM MY ANSWER THAT GOD «DOES NOT EXIST»?

WHEN SENECA REFERS TO GOD, HE REFERS TO THE ONLY GOD THAT THERE IS; WITHIN HIS HISTORICAL CONTEXT, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN REFERRING TO THE NOTION THAT THE GREEKS HAD OF GOD, AS «THE UNKNOWN GOD» («AGNOSTOS THEOS»), AND TO ARISTOTLE'S IDEA OF THE «PRIME MOVER»/«UNMOVED MOVER».
>>
>>23625128
>My question is, is there any way I could most effectively hammer his sayings down, like I can grasp them rationally, but my anxiety-riddled brain still gives me a PHYSICAL reaction I can seemingly do nothing against when some bad shit happens.
it's about training your nervous system from here on out, so exposure to stimuli and conscious effort to react to it a certain way even if you don't feel like it (fake it till you make it)
it takes a couple of months (the consensus seems to be that things become habituated after 3 months), but once the behaviour becomes automatic you stop thinking about it and you stop expending energy in order to act differently
>>
>>23625234
>LETTERCASE DOES NOT SIGNIFY VOCAL MODULATION.
formlet
>>
>>23625234
>LETTERCASE DOES NOT SIGNIFY VOCAL MODULATION.
it does by any standard on internet ettiquete.see https://www.wired.com/story/all-caps-because-internet-gretchen-mcculloch/
how you haven't been banned for uppercase spam for months now is beyond me. jannies and mods?
>>
>>23625259

BY THAT LOGIC, YOU ARE «WHISPERING».

«FOR MONTHS»? YOU HAVE BEEN HERE FOR MONTHS.

«SPAM» IS NOT WHATEVER YOU DISLIKE.
>>
>>23625275
You're an all caps newfag spammer rendering this website even more of an unreadable eyesore with your pretentious ESL all caps spam. You never posted here when Moot was admin nor would the mods back then ever tolerate this spammy horseshit. Hope this helps!
>>
>>23625281
you're the newfag, newfag, cumgenius has been here for a loong time
>>
>>23625288
State your IQ before I engage you further. This ESL faggot never posted this shtick when Moot was admin because this garbage wasn't tolerated then.
>>
File: 619QTCu-bML.jpg (67 KB, 1000x1000)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>23625291
>State your IQ before I engage you further.
132 (confirmed)
>>
>>23625296
>132 (confirmed)
Barely gifted, sad! and dropping the trip isn't convincing anyone, ESL newfag spamming faggot
>>
>>23625291
He's been posting here since at least 2010, retard. He's the last of the tripfags.
>>
>>23625305
lol, lmao even. find an archive post from 2012 from that esl caps spammer faggot. Get fucked, ESL newfag spammer
>>
>>23625310
What the fuck is problem?
>>
>>23625315
*your
>>
>>23625291
>>23625300
>>23625310
lots of ESL being thrown around
projecting our brown heritage, are we?
>>
>>23625317
>WAAAAH you can't just call me an ESL! YOU'RE THE ESL
yep, ESL caps spamming faggot confirmed. your stilted English gives this away, btw
>>
File: IMG_1371.jpg (23 KB, 512x308)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>23625323
His English is impeccable. It seems stilted to you because you're barely literate and have brainrot.

Pic is you, by the way.
>>
>>23625323
kek
>>
>>23625128
>Seneca
What did he say on worshipping "gods" i.e. demons? Is he possibly one of the philosophers who might have been saved by Christ in Hades when he heard the gospel?
>>
>>23625330
Terribly sorry that mommy and daddy's tutors in whatever colonial diaspora that you're from can't make you passable to english natives on a chinese basket weaving board, fag. xo
>>
>>23625337
>died xx AD
Well...
>>
>see interesting thread
>filled with the all caps fag that is still not range banned
I agree with his posts and find them interesting but having such a gigantic faggot in the thread ruins it every time.
>>
>>23625348
writing in a faux verbose way doesn't make him ESL, rather you mistaking him for ESL hints that you aren't native english yourself
>>
>>23625722
You're unbelievably ESL and the fact that you think you could ever not be recognizable as such when you have latinoid grammar is fucking lol. Aren't you a Mexican? And put your trip on
>>
He has a bunch of based quotes ngl
>>
>>23625296
midwit
>>
>>23625128
>we suffer more in imagination than in reality
>signed: an aristocrat
Yes, you do.
>>
>>23625128
i still believe that the only suffering that matters is physical
>>
>>23625348
If anything you're the living proof that grammar pretentious faggots should be banned and holocausted ASAP. The guy you're trying to bash gave an on-topic, useful reply to OP's question. You? Shitting up the whole thread with your off-topic garbage and petty ego issue. If you have to fill your ego with this kind of rubbish your dick must be the size of a peanut.
>>
>>23625128
Have you tried microdosing psilocybin? It helps remolding your neural pathways. In other words, it would fix your "physical reactions".
>>
>>23626167
>>23625348
>>23625323
>>23625310
>>23625291
Take your pills and fuck off. Jesus Christ...
>>
I've been reading some of his letters on and off to practice my Latin. The style is really comfy. Short, friendly letters on different topics. But I have a hard time relating to his philosophy and world view.
>>
>>23626775
>defending an ESL tripfaggot caps spamming
respectfully, consider suicide
>>
File: EVLbRseZ_400x400.jpg (21 KB, 400x400)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>23625234
You write like a Homestuck character
>>
File: woj.jpg (8 KB, 233x216)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>23626800
>UM, criticizing a turd world trip is NOT OKAY. STOP.
>>
>>23625259
>Asks to ban the "uppercase spam"
>Writes lowercase spam, not even writing uppercase in the beginning of a sentence or after a dot
>>
>>23626829
Activate your trip, mexican sockpuppeter
>>
>>23626817
In this case, unironically yes. Cumgenius has had his shtick a long time, probably longer than you’ve even been here, and he at least posts reasonably intelligent and on-topic replies about philosophy and literature. There are far worse tripfags, Cum Genius isn’t so bad as far as they go. No use getting your blood pressure so high over it, it’s just words on the Internet. And he also does not seem ESL to me.

Face it chud, some tripfags are here to stay.
>>
>>23625128
>reading Seneca might've genuinely saved my life. I won't say too much, but shit could've gone REAL bad with the things I was considering, but reading the (excellently translated), "Anger, Mercy, Revenge" as well as currently reading through his letters gave me so much inner peace and "wisdom", it's insane.
I always thought stoics were a meme school, but you convinced me to give this a try.
>>
>>23626832
>Cumgenius has had his shtick a long time
That latino faggot spammer (almost certainly you) is a newfag who started posting in 2020. I'm guessing you're the poster (totally also not the tripfag xirself) who wrote that this fag has been here since 2010 (for sure!)
>>
>>23626832
I genuinely do not remember ever encountering this tripfag back in 2014. The only tripfag I remember is that butterfly bitch. I'm glad she's gone she made my dick hard.
>>
File: 1698852647592742.gif (3.85 MB, 600x338)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB GIF
>>23625128
>He genuinely did more for my mental health and outlook on life than the SSRIs and the doctors I visited before
Not that I believe you are old enough to be on this site (if not a NEET) but let's see how much good this random philosopher's peptalk does when you look at your bank account and finance for the future with any upward trajectory in mind. I predict you'll find nothing of the sort, just a lot of dead-ends, hopeless people and systems you cannot change through any means beyond a violence that's more likely to destroy you than the vice-versa.
>>
>>23627109
Yeah going full bore stoic today is retarded. You're a stoic without a Logos, without even a civic order that's on your side. Just cut out the framing and go Buddhist.
>>
>>23627109
>reading bad! money good!
retarded vague midwit shit that can be applied to any book or philosopher
>>
>>23625234
Aspects of printed text are used to express vocal modulation in written work ALL. THE. TIME.

Uppercase is used /by convention/ to express yelling. It's a /convention/ we are all aware of.

You can insist that there is no connection between the appearance of a printed text and the sound of the intended spoken word utterance of that text, but this is as autistic as saussere insisting there is only an arbitrary connection between the signifier and the signified.

Like sure there's no pure a priori connection between the typeset aspects and spoken utterance characteristics or no purely formal logic to connect one to the other that would prove universal; but all of us live in a world ruled by convention; language functions by conventions, unless you're so far above it swimming in the sky of pure ideas like someone who believes discernment is when reason commands feeling because like some early enlightenment dualist you cant let go of the idea that reasons are more real than feelings. But really all you are making is distance from the conventional world where we convene to convey meanings. Like if you want to be understood you have to understand...conventions.

But I think, no, you're not using uppercase to signal a shout. I think you're using upper case to signal authoritatively, like from the pedestal of knowing, wherefrom one issues the law...like a messiah...which is another convention. Like a STOP sign. You know, when you see a sign telling you to stop?
>>
>>23627265
a more intelligent dismantling than that mexican faggot deserved.
>>
>Grammar grammar grammar
You're off-topic. You're not intelligent.
>>
>>23627380
>t. mexican all caps spamming buttblasted tripfaggot seething so hard zhe made at least 5 sockpuppet posts without a trip

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.