[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_7395.png (210 KB, 1500x1000)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>Shirley Jackson and the magazine that published The Lottery recieved thousands of letters from people asking about the details of where the town was that held this ritualistic murder lottery to encourage crop yields to improve

Literally how? How could anyone smart enough to write a letter and send it to the right place think it was a true story?
>>
Btw, anyone who owe feek like Shirley Jackson is an under appreciated woman writer? She really pushed the boundaries in terms of writing good stories, not good stories “for a woman”.

The Witch is one of my favourite short stories ever and terrifies me even though basically nothing really happens in it
>>
>>23625289
Didn't happen
>>
>>23625289
From what I have read there were all sorts of ancient societies that practiced human sacrifice for various arbitrary and contrived reasons. It doesn't seem strange to me people would be asking these sorts of questions.
>>
>>23625289
>anyone who owe feek like
are you drunk or just dyslexic?
>>
"The Lottery" was a metaphor for abortion.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.