[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: run wild.jpg (66 KB, 656x1000)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Hey /lit/, new teacher here calling out other primary/elementary school teachers.

I'm looking for some appropriate novels for a novel study for kids around the age of 10-11. I want it to have rich vocabulary, I want it to subvert the classic narrative structure, and it obviously has to be appropriate.

I'm starting them off with the canned shit they have, because I kind of have to (for reference, they did Matilda with their previous teacher).

However, I'm really looking to quietly extend them, as they are a split class and I need to provide them rich texts that are not intimidating.

I've looked through the options they have, and whilst they are okay, I'm looking for better than okay. Would love to hear your ideas. Pic related is what I'm starting with based on the school curriculum.
>>
Pick something from the Redwall series by Brian Jacques.
Child friendly, will capture their imaginations with it being about animals, peril and adventure, historical and political lessons about warring kingdoms, incredibly rich characters, life and death, beautifully described scenery and food. They don’t all break the mold with regards to plot structure but for the modern 10 year old it’s gotta be tough to find something more interesting than a iPad. Indulge that Childlike wonder without needing to resort to Harry Potter.
>>
>>23625516
I am the cheese
Robert Cormier

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.