[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: german.jpg (34 KB, 180x270)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
You psyop-ed me into studying German at university, their literature is trash, besides Goethe, Kafka and Hesse. Don't fall for the psyop anons...
>>
>>23626068
Why did you fell for this meme? Russian literature is far better than German one.
Even the English should be above the Germans, due to Shakespeare and Pope.
>>
>>23626072
I held German to be superior with its case system. Turns out it's a hollow literary language. I should've studied Latin/Greek or English
>>
>>23626068
Which nationality are you?
>>
>>23626127
I'm Dutch. Their literature seemed superior to ours, the language easy to learn, and the language is very relevant to my country. (actual job prospects)
>>
>>23626133
Well I'm a just a dirty burger, so you likely have more cultural affinity than I do. I've noticed some things though that may help a bit, I'm sure the resident Germans here will likely feel the need to remind me of my burger status, the Germans are kind of wierd about personal space, they literally have a word for it: Germütlichkeit. It's a major faux paux to violate it, until you have acquired a feel for it just let the German maintain the distance they feel comfortable at, I know that sounds really wierd but it works wonders. Just go ahead and accept your uncultured Barbarian status, although that may not be as much of an issue for you given your proximity. There are something like 16 or 17 different dialects, to make this easy you can take almost all of them and just lump into a universal German category, there are 3 different dialects that actually matter beyond that. You can't fool a native German on certain things, just don't even bother trying, if you only know business German just stick to that, Germans are very direct and in their culture they are afforded this directness, whereas in Burger land there is always some faggot or bitch that tries to stifle directness and whatnot. What this means is that if you only know business German and try to express some sort of intrinsic cultural expression it may rub them the wrong way, if you are up front about it they probably won't care as much, and may even agree to use a different language with you. There are also a considerable number of tribes and subsets of these tribes based on highly specified location. You don't want to talk to a Berliner the same way you would anyone else so to speak. You basically have to become encultured before you can really appreciate their literature, but once you do they arguably have the best available. I hope you land a good job anon!
>>
>no one talking about Spanish

The only reason for that is the /pol/ification and its subsequent germanophilia of this retarded website where everything germanic is inherently deemed as superior, along with the statement that Spanish people are not white.

German philosophy alone makes german worth learning, but that's not the case for fiction works.

Hell, you don't even talk about learning French, which should be much closer for the average /pol/tard.
>>
>>23626068
>Learning German for literature
>Not for philological and historical scholarship and reading primary sources on the 3rd Reich
Brvh
>>
>>23626068
Dichter u. Denker for a reason; not Schriftsteller u. Romanciers
>>
>>23626068
If you read that useless Cambridge companion then yeah no wonder you feel you got psyoped by pseuds who only have surface-level comprehension to pass on.
>>
Read Hölderlin, Schiller, Novalis, Schlegel, Fichte, Schelling, von Arnim, Brentano, von Eichendorff, Schleiermacher, Tieck, Hardenberg, Heine, ETA Hoffmann, Kleist, Möricke, Schwab and Uhland and then come back and talk shit about German High Culture.

And protip, its your own fault for reading German literature past the mid 19th century (maybe besides Thomas Mann), nothing valuable has been written since the unification. You learn German to read all that had come before
>>
>>23626874
böll is pretty good though
>>
>>23626068
Lessing, Kleist, Holderlin, Novalis, Schiller, Wagner, Nietzsche, George, Rilke, etc.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.