[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dionysus.jpg (50 KB, 474x553)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Literally just found out there is an ancient Greek epic poem that exists called the Dionysiaca that is longer than the Iliad, about the life of Dionysus.

I have never heard a single reference to this poem's existence, not in a documentary on ancient Greece, not in a book, not even a passing reference "Oh by the way this poem exists." Nothing. Apparently it's not discussed because it is "poorly written." But I don't buy that excuse because the Dionysus cult was something the elites were always trying to suppress. What is in this poem that they don't want you to read? Has any anons here read it?
>>
>>23626075
Because later epics are just seen as derivatives of Homer written by the overly-learned. Same with the Posthomerica, Argonautica and Byzantine poetry. You should just read it and tell us what you find in there.
I haven't read it because the Greek is too hard for me and I'm not going to read it in English.
>>
>>23626075
>I have never heard a single reference to this poem's existence, not in a documentary on ancient Greece, not in a book, not even a passing reference
Because it's a Roman era poem and the Hellenistic/Roman/Byzantine eras of Greek history in general get little attention except from scholars, especially their literature. The author also wrote a paraphrase of the Gospel of John in Homeric Greek.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.