[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: lotr.jpg (741 KB, 1400x2266)
741 KB
741 KB JPG
Why do people like picrel so much?

I'm about to travel nonstop for work over the next two months and will have hours of downtime every day. Is LOTR+Hobbit+Silmarillion a good combo, or should I pick up something else?
>>
Yes, it is good and you should read it.
>>
it's silly fantasy for teenagers
get yourself something actually good instead
>>
>>23627093
It's good
>>
People only pretend not to like it. They have to keep up their discerning, high-brow image by reading books set in the real world. Pity them and enjoy the comfiest books ever written.
>>
File: Maglor-Jenny-Dolfen.jpg (206 KB, 651x870)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>23627576
>comfy
>When my bro Maedhros fucking dies
>>
>>23627093
Basically it's comfy and cozy, lots of descriptions and elaborate world-building, the actual meat of the book is fairly childish and silly, it's your banal ''good vs evil'' story
>>
LotR is special because you can feel the author's love in every page. He loves his setting, loves his characters (be they lofty elves or humble hobbits) loves his made-up languages and loves all the Norse epics and Germanic myths he took his ideas from.

Compare that to highbrow fiction, which is often the product (even when very good) of neurotic losers raging at the world around then.
>>
>>23627583
he had it coming
>>
>>23627102
It isn't good. Insufferable people like LOTR. Cringelord nonsense and basically the equivalent of being a male harry potter fanboy.
>>
>>23627463
>something actually good

Like the neurotic romantic fantasies of some frostbitten slav shoved to the curtains of Europe 200 years ago?
>>
File: 98mtbklsnew41.jpg (1.52 MB, 5120x3200)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
stormlight archive is a better combo

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.