[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000028254.jpg (365 KB, 1079x1074)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
Out of curiosity I try to follow through and read what people are talking about on this board about diffeeent philosophers and all the words don't mean anything to me. How does a dimwit learn how to understand
>>
>>23627114
Start with the greeks!
>>
>>23627114
philosophy is how non "tangible" things work, in a spiritual, moral, social way, is difficult if you want to try and understand all philosophy, try to start from the begging of western philosophy with the greeks
>>
>>23627114
Political Philosophy is a good entry point. The concepts it deals with (justice, property, law, etc) are things you presumably already think about on a regular basis. Every great philosopher has had something of substance to say about political matters. Start there.
>>
>>23627114
Read commentaries first. "Introduction to philosophy" or "history of western philosophy", something like that.
>>
>>23627114
You don't understand it because you're trying to find meaning in meaningless word salads. Philosophy is a waste of time
>>
>>23627185
No, it isn't.
>>
This board is obsessed with philosophy as "what a particular author wrote in their long ass treatise or novel."

If you want actual philosophy go on SEP, find a topic you're interested in, read it, then read the papers being referenced (sci-hub) is your friend. Or download an Oxford handbook of x philosophy on libgen. You can also go on philpapers and type the dois into sci-hub and read them.

Your best bet is to find an intro to philosophy textbook and read that. Don't waste your time on continentals. Don't "start with the Greeks."
>>
>>23627267
>Do what I tell you to do because bureaucracts are excellent philosophers
>>
>>23627267
he has a point, philosophy is not a single thing find something that you want to understand like morality etc, and search for philosophers that have written about that, ex, you want to understand free will, read Descartes, maeby you will agree maeby not, that's where you need to think of it yourself

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.