[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: chart (3).png (1.66 MB, 1999x1480)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
These are all the books I've read this year. After I finish up Decay of the Angel and Name of the Rose my stack will be done so I need some new stuff.
I'm turning 23 soon so stuff like DFW really appeals to me, as well as books like Into the Wild and other 'finding yourself' books. Definitely would like a mix of serious and more fun, comfy stuff like Name of the Rose (besides all the boring history dumps it reminded me of Redwall)
>>
>>23627970
I could read all that in 2 months. Not even bragging.
>>
>>23627985
Yeah, I've always been a slow reader but it doesn't bother me much. I'd rather be reading consistently than not
>>
>>23627970
How many hrs do you spend reading /day? Impressed that you were able to read so many dense texts.
>>
>>23627970
I read Siddharta by Hesse in translation when I was that age. It was pretty good. Why? Because it combined well with the self-discipline and pick-up e-books I was reading then. Making it as we do.
>>
>>23628609
I shoot for an hour or so a day but obviously if I'm really into it I'll read more. Then again just because I got through it doesn't mean I completely understand it. Foucault's Pendulum was a mindfuck, especially towards the end and I barely remember most of it, but that will make rereading it more fun
>>
You might like In Cold Blood
>>
>>23629328
had it years ago but never read it, I'll give it another go. thanks anon
>>
>>23628650
I've always stayed away from Siddharta because of how popular it is but I might try it out. Don't know if I can handle more samsara talk like in Temple of the Dawn
>>
>>23629294
good
>>
>>23629294
>I barely remember most of it
Then what was the point of reading it?
I feel like most of /lit/ just reads to say that they read. But when pressed for remembering what it was about or any critical thoughts about the text they draw a blank.
>>23627985
Faggots like this especially.
>>
>>23630134
>Then what was the point of reading it?
Exposing myself to new ideas and/or writing styles, as well as for entertainment in a broad sense. The satire aspect kinda went over my head but I don't anticipate reading something only once and understanding all of it in one go.
I didn't get The Crying of Lot 49 at first but after reading it a few times I appreciate it a lot more and picked up on a lot of things. Ditto for easier stuff like Nabokov, I'm someone that needs time to chew things over until I really get it
>>
>>23627970
How were spring snow and runaway horses?
>>
>>23627970
Liberal
>>
>>23627970
I’m actually reading Name Of The Rose right now. Could really do without the need to autistically describe the scenery and architecture but it’s a decent book so far otherwise.
>>
>>23627970
Also I mostly read nonfiction so is that CIA book any good? Gonna read it after I read Devils Chessboard.
>>
>>23630707
Spring Snow was a little too sappy for me at first but after reading more of the tetralogy I appreciated it more. Runaway Horses was excellent and more of what Mishima's known for imo, almost an extension of the themes in Sailor.
>>
>>23630717
I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite book I've read this year next to The Pale King. I didn't know anything about Manson before reading it and understood it pretty well, just a lot of names to remember. He doesn't get into the CIA stuff until later in the book and the beginning mainly covers inconsistencies/lies in the investigation and trial but segues it nicely to the CIA part.
>>
>>23630134
>I feel like most of /lit/ just reads to say that they read. But when pressed for remembering what it was about or any critical thoughts about the text they draw a blank.
It's honestly just because so many of them think it's gay to keep a journal.
>>
>>23630714
Yeah, I read it was kind of a 'dumbed down' book for the average reader so I was expecting something a little more basic mystery-esque. There is an aspect of that to it but the going into the history/theology sections are a real drag to read so far. There's a part where William says something to the point of "it's impossible to know everything, just new ways to look at it or interpret it" which I'm guessing will be a major theme later on and tie in to the resolution of the murders. Kind of a lame payoff imo but I haven't finished it yet.
>>23630717
I meant to ask, any recs/favorite nonfiction? Jon Krakauer is really good.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.