[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (27 KB, 600x338)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
I think it inadequately represents the action of lying down. It's an unsatisfying name that never sat well with me. Also it is homonymous with telling falsehoods, which was a capital crime in some ancient cultures. I would change it if I could.
>>
>>23628394
(Eminem, shortly before writing Love the Way You Lie)
>>
>>23628394
I agree, “lie down” never sat well with me either. What would you change it too?
>>
>>23628450
Snarflegetasltriate
Rolls off the tongue
>>
>>23628450
Succubate

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/succubo#Latin
>>
>>23628394
Lay
>>
>>23628482
I will lay you down to sleep if you quote me again.
>>
>>23628394
Better than Amerimutt solecism "lay"
>>
I get you. I always get caught up when I read someone "lay" described as in the past. I find it difficult to imagine it being about someone having lay down as opposed to someone currently laying themselves down, you know what I mean? It's one of those words that always makes me stop reading for a couple of seconds to think about how wrong it feels to read and then having to accept that I'm the one at fault in this situation.
>>
In Old Norse you have the verb liggja and leggja and afaik neither mean to lie as in to say something that isn't true knowing that it isn't true
>>
>>23628394
The image admits that difficulty falling asleep will result in daytime drowsiness yet obviously attributes to screen usage and lighting. Removing these fails to resolve insomnia. The lifestyle change advice is pseudoscience and does not fix the situation. Exogenous stressors, individuals, noises play a much larger role but not being idiosyncratic quirks to the patient and within his/her control are ignored from consideration. Ultimately this is all one big elaborate cope to deny pharmacotherapy of insomnia which actually solves the captioned dilemma.
>>
>>23628923
*having lain down
(and just say lying down instead of reflexive laying, like yeah it's not wrong reflexively but thence's the confusion and then you morons go about it unreflexively intransitively, while it could be all so simple)
>>
An inevitable eccentricity of this ramshackle language.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.