[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Bruno_Schulz.jpg (1.03 MB, 1797x2500)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>Tokarczuk is hardly alone in her praise. The Serbian novelist Danilo Kis was fascinated by Schulz; Israeli novelist David Grossman featured him in his novel See: Under Love; Cynthia Ozick wrote an entire novel imagining what happened to Schulz’s lost manuscript for his novel The Messiah; both Michael Stipe of R.E.M. and Patti Smith claim to have been influenced by him. In 1976, Philip Roth went to visit Isaac Bashevis Singer for The New York Review of Books so they could discuss Schulz and in that year, Roth inserted Schulz’s murder into his novella The Prague Orgy.

Thoughts on Bruno Schulz?
>>
My time to shine
Cinnamon shops is an unearthly experience, and I don't feel the need to do hard drugs when any page of this book is available. I'm chewing "hard" books like it's nothing but his are truly some of the more difficult stories. Kafka is a good old boring nanny next to him.
Grossman's book is good, of course, but it's not anything close to Schulz's utter weirdness so don't expect much.
One of my goals in life is to find a guy that understands the experience of reading about Bruno's father and the birds and marry him.
>>
>>23630884
Did you read them in Polish?

I started reading in English but I wonder if I'm missing out on the particular quality of the original.
>>
>>23630884
>literal faggot
entirely worthless post
>>
>>23630893
No, hebrew. I'm sure I'm missing out some but the translation is quite good.

>>23630931
I'm a girl but faggots wrote some of the best literary pieces ever so it sounds like you're the worthless one
>>
>>23630960
What do you like about his works, specifically?

I have read praise about its surreal nature, its imagery and so on.
>>
>>23630865
Is it a coincidence that only three people in that paragraph are gentiles, two of those three doing music rather than literature, and Tokarczuk in particular is known for being an extreme philosemite?
>>
>>23631032
Maybe, but plenty of gentiles admire Schulz's work. Thomas Ligotti is one.
>>
>>23630893
>>23630884
I read it in Polish but I dislike it. It's short stories where he writes about his childhood memories in magical realism style merging things that happened with things like his psycho father flying like bird etc. But I can't quite call them stories more like vignettes, and it's not memoir either as there is not real plot. Prose is purple as shit, bit like Proust maybe some poetic prose - again I don't give a shit about most stuff he writes I feel no emotions from it.
In Hourglass Sanatorium Wojciech Has tried to showcase all weirdness of book but he also added real plot to it merging it all together. IMO it's one of the cases of film being much better than a book
>>
>>23631051
>Prose is purple as shit
i want every illiterate zoomer that calls all stylization "purple prose" to get rectal cancer and die. what a waste for such a retard to even have eyes to read with
>>
Read his stuff.
In his prose the long sentences and their metaphors sort of unfurl themselves to paint not only a draw a picture of the world / every day life or the object he describes but help you see it in a new light.
>>
File: il_1080xN.3437248507_lmrh.png (1.32 MB, 1080x1480)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>23630865
Really great, though I have no idea how much appeal he would have for non Central Europeans (as in the average reader, not other writers). Maybe I'm wrong since Kafka is similar and he's widely acclaimed everywhere. Also, the OP article doesn't mention how much Thomas Ligotti has praised him too
>>
>oh i guess he was an artist as well i wonder what his--
huh. dare i say, based
>>
>>23631159
"Central european" as an identity in central europe is exclusively used by bourgeois jews who think no nation can reject them if they reject the idea of nationhood to begin with. But the irony is that bourgeois jews are bourgeois jews wherever they are, whatever period they exist in, or whichever language they speak. New York and Budapest are closer to each other than New York is to New England.
>>
>>23630865

>Kis
Jew
>Grossman
Jew
>Ozick
Jew
>Roth
Jew
>Singer
Jew

Why do Jews love to circlejerk over their own?
>>
>>23631210
false, it's used predominantly by poles etc that don't want to be called "eastern europeans" because it lumps them together with russia. you don't know what you're talking about at all.
>>
>>23631051
I love the movie too, it's amazing visually and really lives up to Schulz's writing. The only problem I have with it is that Has stuffed it with things from like five different short stories instead of just focusing on the actual sanatorium one.
>>23631210
What I mean by it is people from the former Austria-Hungary empire, we have a shared culture that's distinct from other neighbors or linguistically related places like Russia
>>
>>23631238
What people think of as the "culture of the austro-hungarian empire" is actually the culture of the jewish upper and upper-middle class of Vienna and Budapest. Like, can you name a single famous viennese author from after the Ausgleich without going on a wikipedia dive who wasn't jewish?
>>
>>23631274
>>23631238
Austro-Hungarian nostalgia is also an exclusively jewish phenomenon. Every other constituent ethnicity hated the fucking thing, even the Austrians and the Hungarians themselves. Nobody but jews had any reason to remember it fondly.
>>
i adore him - first read him when I was around 16 and he made a strong impression - it was the first time I really experienced a feeling of physical tiredness after reading, solely due to the sheer vividness of the images the writing placed in my mind. I wish people talked about him more because his writing is so unique and absurdly evocative.
>>
>>23630865
>jew
trash
>>
>>23631662
Well he actually got shot by the nazis
>>
>>23631026
Yeah the surrealism is the most noticeable feature but the impressive thing in my opinion is the fact that he lives in a completely ordinary town, a very boring actually, lives a very boring life, has nothing interesting to tell about, but out of nowhere he reveals the hidden side of this life, both from the intricate tiny details (the frightening beastly power of their maid as a representative of the outer world, for example) and the greater picture, and you recognize everything but also cannot and it feels like the beginning of the path that leads to insanity.
As if everything you knew about this world is from a very specific angle of view and now he reveals to you a photographs from others and you have to deal with this terrifying vastness and uncertainty.

I can't find many other writers to compare, only the moments after waking up when you're like "what the fuck where is this what is body who are senses"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.