[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Who's your favorite Patristic author and what's your favorite piece of theirs? Going through ὑπόμνημα εἰς τήν πρός Ἐφεσίους Ἐπιστολήν by John Chrysostom and then I'll go through Athanasius De Incarnatione. Would like some more reccs, and feel free to generally discuss anything about them.
>>
>>23631349
St. Gregory of Nyssa's "On the Making of Man," has a very interesting view of "all mankind" as the Imago Dei (as opposed to only each person individually).

St. Maximus the Confessor has a lot of good stuff. I have mostly read the stuff translated on English under "The Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ."

Origen's allegorical commentaries and On Prayer are really quite good. The stuff on Numbers and Exodus is interesting.

Pic related is a great set that puts Patristic commentary from all sorts of sources (even unorthodox ones like Pelagius) together in order of which part of the Bible they comment on. It's a wonderful resource. The amount of stuff on Exodus 3 (3:7-14 in particular) is really cool.

You can tell the Patristic focus from the fact that John has to be two large volumes, or that Job gets its own volume and that the Song of Songs filled out a fairly large chunk of its volume.
>>
>>23632932
For later commentary, there is this series, but it isn't done yet. IIRC it's mostly Latin authors. I have not used these as much because they aren't organized the same way and I find it a bit less useful.

There is also a translated Glossa Ordinaria for some books. I had one on the Song of Songs I found on Libgen. That's mostly the Patristics but then some medieval folks and some anonymous but very good commentary was added between about 600-1100 that is hard to track down.

And then there is always the Philokalia for Eastern Fathers (and later) which is wonderful. It's roughly in chronological order so the Desert Fathers and other Patristics are up front (St. Maximus, Evargrius Pontus, etc.)

God bless friend.
>>
Why don't you Cathodox pharisees just read the Bible instead of idol worshipping your "church fathers" and raising their opinions over God's Word?
>>
>>23632932
>>23632951
Ty I will check these all out. Much appreciated.
>>23633000
To what do you believe the παραδόσεις in 1 Cor 11:2 and 2 Thes 2:15 refer to?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.